Chapter 2

Leah POV

It's been nearly a decade of since this war started, and its killed millions of innocent lives. Why for the selfishness of one person, is the death of many?

My own family died right infront of my eyes just a couple of years ago. One second we were celebrating my sister's birthday and the next, my family was shot down by the army, no the monsters. Somehow, the monsters didn't see me and I barely made it out alive.

An army protects its people and country, but this army hurts and kills them. My country was the most beautiful place that's ever existed.

With the clear river filled with enchanting clean, cool water. The greenery provided by the forest with the colours of fruits and flowers growing in trees and bushes, to the culture and people.

Now there's barely any access to clean water, let alone food, shelter, and clothing. The constant noise of armed machinery drowns the calming noise of the river and the birds that once chirped and resided here.

Soon, I got used to homelessness and sleeping hungry most nights. Although, many were sleepless nights due to the fright of passing helicopters and tanks.

It was during one of those wandless nights, that I came across an abandoned house. It was all I could see for the next few blocks and it seemed safe enough that I decided to spend the night there. It was where I met Jamie.

He was merely an eight year old boy and I had just turned eighteen. His family too was tragically killed due to this war. He is the younger brother I never had, and since I met him I've always had an instinct to protect him. Since then for the past four years we've been together trying to escape our enemy.

As tempting as it was to reunite with my family in heaven, I knew there must've been a reason why I barely made it out alive. Also, Jamie depended on me and I knew that we should keep fighting, even if it means fleeing out of my country to live safely somewhere else.