Chapter Nine

Melaine

"Kenji what are you doing?" I asked standing in the door of our mini library. He was awkwardly sitting on the floor surrounded by books while flipping frantically through one.

"Found it!" He yelled getting up then looking at me as if finally spotting me. "Perfect I was about to come looking for you."

"Why? What are you doing in the library? I'm surprised you even know where it is." I said walking into the room making my way towards him.

"I didn't. Adonis brought me here. But that's beside the point." He said shoving the book in my face. I realised then what it was. A book of shadows. The page he had been reading was on a spell. It had no title so I didn't know what it was for.

"What exactly does this spell do?" I asked looking at him.

"It's a stronger version of the revealing spell I taught you. It exposes any form of magic and auras. Remember that spell your mom put on you to bind your magic and hide your supernatural aura. Well if it had been used on you the time you had it on you, even the amulet, this spell would have been able to expose you."

"Why exactly were you looking for it?"

"I don't think Titus is human." He tells me sitting down on one of the sofas.

"Did you hit your head?"I asked him slowly because he was being ridiculous.

"I'm being serious."

"So am I. We looked into him and his family. Titus is human. Two years ago he didn't even know any of this supernatural stuff existed."

"Neither did you. Two years ago if anyone would have looked into you and your family they would assume you were human. You had no idea of this world until you were shoved into it. I'm centuries old dragon. I could sense you weren't human when I met you and you can say it's coz I knew you weren't or because I'm your familiar but it wasn't. You felt the way Titus is feeling right now. Fake. I can always tell." He huffed out.

"Let's say I believe you. What proof besides your super senses do you have?" I asked. I knew Kenji could always know what someone was because he'd done it more than once. But the notion that Titus wasn't human was ridiculous.

"We looked into him remember. He disappeared in the middle of last year and a year later started his six month killing spree. Prior to it he had absolutely no training whatsoever. A year's worth of training isn't enough for someone to be able to kill that many witches. Even the Wilsons never hunted covens on their own. The night that demon thing attacked he broke down the basement door. Do you know what Lucian did to that door? He charmed it. A steroid induced body builder on an adrenaline rush wouldn't be able to even leave a dent on that door but he broke it down like he was nothing. And he's lean.

Why do you think your brother is so uneasy about the two of you being left alone? Because he felt it too when he was healing him. Why would your father send something that can only be killed by his two children to their location? The demon wasn't here to kill Titus. Lucian told me when it scratched him the scratch wasn't one for the kill and he was poisoned. I think the poison was to weaken whatever protective spell was on him."

"I don't want to believe you." I tell him honestly.

"Then humour me. Cast the spell and if I'm wrong you get to say I told you so."

"Fine." I told him.

"Awesome." He smiled.

"Let's go. Before any more books give you more crazy ideas. Let's do this before we start to put up the barrier."