Chapter Eleven

Alistair Black was what I figured I'd look like when I got older. He looked too much like me for his claims not to be true. That and the photograph of me, him, my brother and mother. I had a brother. A twin. But unlike me, he was still dead. Killed by my uncle.

"Before you start, how did you find me?" I ask him watching him from across the office table. I had brought him to Esmeralda's office because we were getting too much attention in the diner.

"One of my pack members saw you when you were leaving forest city. When he told me I didn't believe it. That was until I went to visit your grave and found it empty."

"That was two years ago. You've known I was alive for two years and you're only here now?" It was selfish of me that considering I had never bothered to look for him.

"I looked for you, Alexander. I spent the last two years going out of my mind looking for you but I couldn't find you. Not until last week when something made the barrier around this town weaken. It was like it came out of nowhere. Then I received a report that you were here. For two years I asked myself why you didn't come looking for us. Why you didn't come home." He said looking down at the end. There was sadness in his voice. One I couldn't ignore.

What was I supposed to tell him? That I hadn't cared. That I hadn't bothered to think if I had family out there grieving me and in his case looking for me. I had been so selfish for no reason. Wanting to start again. Too scared to listen to my wolf. I saw a chance to be human and took. Not caring about anyone else.

"How did I die?" I asked him silently. It's the one question I had avoided asking Xerxes. But now I wanted to know.

"I should probably start from the beginning. Neither you nor your wolf remembers anything?" He asked.

"Xerxes remembers. I'm not sure how much he does though. I haven't spoken to him in two years. He's barely alive. All he talked about when we crawled out of that grave was a girl."

"Melaine," He smiles shaking his head. "Of course you'd forget everything but your mate."

"I did forget her. Have forgotten her. He's the one that remembers her."

"When I was your age my father chose me instead of your uncle to be Alpha of his pack. My brother, Logan, hadn't liked that idea. He poisoned me and used me as a demon vessel. The demon under his orders killed thousands. I was seen as unstable and Logan took my title, my mate... he took you and your brother. I spent the next ten years trying to find you. Bring you back.

And then I finally did. I was able to get rid of the demon that possessed me but it had left its mark. On you and me. Melaine's father, Dardanos, had found me and helped me look for you. Logan had killed her mother and hidden her with his best friend. We were two dads trying to get our kids back. But they had already made us the villains in your minds. So when we came you fought back."

"What happened afterward?" I asked when he paused.

"They wiped your memories of that day. Both of you and separated you. It took Dardanos years to find his daughter and when he did we orchestrated an attack so you two would be reunited. Your brother was on our side. But he remained with you and your father. We knew if Logan ever found out he would kill him.

By the time we managed to expose who Logan really was to you and her we were a little too late. He killed Carlton, your brother, and captured Melaine. He rewired her memory and filled it with lies and false memories. Then he killed you. Now she thinks I did it and is hunting us down still convinced I'm the bad guy."

"What do you want me to do?"

"We need to find her. Reverse the spell that was cast on her and stop my brother before any more people are killed. I know you probably have a life here but I need you son. Your mate needs you. If we don't stop Logan our world will be destroyed." He said softly tears brimming in his eyes. He blinked them away and looked back down at his hands.