Chapter 13: Starting Place

"Kimmy!" Sherlock called as he ran up the stairs to his flat. Mrs. Hudson wasn't home, so he wasn't worried about her hearing him. "Kimmy, we found something," he continued as he entered the flat, shrugging his coat off and hanging it on the back of the door. "Sap form a rare subspecies of maple tree. It only grows in about a dozen places around the country, so that helps us narrow down where Moriarty was before he went to the flat and—" His statement was cut short as he finally turned to look at Kimmy, who was sitting in his chair. Her face was pale, her eyes looked as if they were about to overflow with tears, and her hands were shaking as she clenched a mobile phone between them. She looked terrified.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Moriarty called me," she said in a weak voice.

"What?" Sherlock demanded as he knelt in front of her. "How did he—"

"He's got the Doctor," she cut him off. She held up the phone where he could see it. "This calls anywhere in time or space. The Doctor gave it to me. Moriarty called me on it."

"Why?" he pressed. "Why call you and not me?"

"He's trying to scare me," she answered. "He's trying and succeeding."

"What did he say?" Sherlock demanded. When she looked away from him, he grabbed her by the shoulders and forced her to look at him. "Kimmy, what did Moriarty say?"

"He's going to kill them," she finally said, though she wouldn't meet his eye. "Mary and the Doctor. But he's not going to kill them yet. He said he wants to have fun first. He said to tell you to go the place where your journey started."

"Were those exact words?" Sherlock asked.

Kimmy thought for a few seconds before she nodded. She finally looked him in the eyes, tears spilling out of hers. "Sherlock, when he kills Mary, he's going to stop me from being born. I've been traveling with the Doctor for months and have helped him stop Daleks and save planets and a lot of other things. If I'm never born, I won't do any of that."

"And what will happen if you don't help him?"

"Bad things," Kimmy answered, wiping her eyes. "Very bad things."

"Did he say anything else?"

"Just that he wants me to go with you and that he'd be in touch. What does he mean by 'the place where your journey started'?"

"He wants me to go back to the place where I first heard of him," he said as he rose to his feet and walked back to where he'd hung his coat.

"You mean that university from the Study in Pink?"

"Yes, that's the—" He stopped short when he realized what she'd said. "Don't tell me John still has hat ridiculous blog where you come from."

"He does," she answered, "but that's not where I heard about it. When I was eight, John took all the old cases from his blog and put them into books."

"Books?" Sherlock repeated in disbelief.

Kimmy seemed lightly amused by his reaction as she nodded. "They're international best-sellers, actually," she said, also standing up.

Sherlock rolled his eyes as they walked down the stairs and out the front door. He hailed a cab and gave the driver the address of the university. Neither he nor Kimmy said anything as they rode to their destination.