chapter five ; amos singh? not me

AMOS

"You should probably create a Tinder account if you're so desperate for love," Alex shouted over the wind. 

"I am not desperate," I shouted back. "Also, why is your helmet so big? I've hit my teeth against it almost nineteen times now. I kept count."

"Not my fault you have horse teeth," he responded. "And you so are. I see the way you get all jealous when you see other couples being happy with each other. You're a miserable bachelor who can't find love, admit it."

"And you're simply miserable," I fired back, tightening my grip around him so as to deprive him of oxygen.

"Bitch, aren't you supposed to be saving people and not trying to kill them?" he complained, smacking my arm to get me to loosen my hold on him. "And no, like I said, the 'A' in my name stands for-"

"I don't care what it stands for!" 

"Okay," he nodded. He was silent for a few minutes before opening his mouth again: "It sits for-"

"No!" I interrupted. "I'm about to break your motorcycle."

"My motorcycle goes down, you go down with it," he pointed out. "And so do I but that's not the point. Don't touch Samantha."

"Samantha?"

"That's her name," he responded, patting the side of his motorcycle. "Now shut it or I'm going to have to reconsider taking you to work every morning. I could be back at home getting some beauty sleep."

"You spat in my ear. You owe me," I reminded him, recoiling in disgust as the wet feeling in my ear returned at me mentioning that.

"That's what all virgins say," he shrugged.

"What even is the correla-"

"Shut up," he said, raising his hand slightly for a moment before letting it sit on the handle of the brakes. He finally pulled over to the hospital and I got off with a sigh. Another day of work. This was how my life was going to be for a long, long time now.

"Thanks, Al," I said, grabbing my things. "I owe you one."

"For?"

"You driving me to work," I began. "I know it's difficult for you waking up so early and having to get ready just because of me. I appreciate it."

I awaited a snarky response, but he simply smiled and reached his hands out to ruffle my hair fondly, "Don't mention it, my dude. Work hard. You got this."

My eyes widened at him being so loving. This was a side I didn't get to see very often when it came to Alex. 

"Why are you looking at me like that? Do I smell?" he questioned, concerned.

"No, I'm just surprised. It's nice to seeing you be all soft and shit with me," I teased.

The smile on his face dropped and he brought his hand up to flip me off, "Me? Soft? No. Fuck you. Be scared. I'm the ultimate emo."

"Oh shut up," I laughed, shaking my head at him. "I've got to get going now, I'll bring you some food when I'm back as a way to thank you."

"You don't have to," he grinned. "Just kidding, you do. Get me five bottles of mango juice too, please."

-

"Are you ready for your first patient of the day, Dr. Amos?" Dr. Wang questioned. I nodded meekly in response, "Ready as I'll ever be."

The previous day's routine repeated. The assisting nurse pulled the door open, handed Mr. Wang some papers and left, making way for the patient. I was busy organizing my desk so I didn't bother looking up - but when I did, I wished I'd called in late for work that day.

It was the same guy from the bar. 

I let out a surprised cough, followed by another when I choked on my spit. Mr. Wang noticed and rushed to the other room to get me a glass of water. Within the small amount of time in which he was gone, Micah took his seat in front of me with a knowing grin. 

"Amos Singh?"

"Who? Not me," I choked out. 

"Are you sure it's not you?" he questioned, looking down at the name tag around my neck which had my name on it. I quickly placed my hand in front of it. 

"Yes. My name is, uh.." I looked over at my phone which lay on my desk, the news article I was reading wide open on the screen. I read out the first name I saw, "Justin.. Bieber?"