chapter twenty-six ; nighttime getaway

AMOS

The couch was more uncomfortable than I'd initially assumed it would be. An hour or two had passed since all of us had collectively decided to go to bed - and Alex was completely knocked out (I could tell from the snoring). I wasn't too sure about Micah because I could barely hear a sound from him, but I was unable to fall asleep, that was one thing I was a hundred per-cent sure about.

I even attempted counting sheep and reached seven-hundred and fifteen before giving up because my brain refused to cooperate. I'd barely consumed enough water as well but for some reason, I got up around forty times to piss in the middle of the night. 

I was also sweating profusely despite the room being freezing cold and my blanket possessing the thickness of a strand of hair.

I tried to turn to my side so I'd be able to fall asleep faster but that wouldn't work either. I attempted to close my eyes and clear my mind of any stray thoughts but that refused to work as well. I eventually gave up and simply lay there, staring up at the ceiling.

That was when I heard faint shuffling before a voice whispered from beside me, "Hey."

I nearly jumped out of my bones and turned to look at the source of the voice.

"What the heck are you doing?" I said in a quiet tone.

"I can't sleep," he admitted, sitting down beside the couch whilst looking at me. "And by the looks of it, you can't either."

"Is the bed uncomfortable?" I questioned, sitting up. 

"No," he said, shaking his head. "Just.. your.. your uh.. emo best friend over there-"

"Snores a lot, doesn't he?" I interrupted, trying not to giggle. Micah, however, let out a loud snort at that. I quickly scooted closer and placed my hand over his mouth to silence him. I proceeded to look up over to the bed to make sure Alex was still asleep before slowly removing my hand from his mouth. 

"You've got to be quiet," I warned. "We don't want to wake him up."

"Yes sir," he joked.

We sat in silence for a minute or two before he shifted onto his feet and extended his arm out towards me. I looked up at him questionably but took his hand regardless, standing up alongside him. 

"You wanna get out of here?" he questioned. "Go out for a stroll, maybe?"

"At this time? Are you out of your mind?"

"Why not?" he shrugged. "The rain's stopped and neither of us can really sleep. It's safe out there, isn't it? Plus, you're sweating like crazy. It's pretty cold outside, that might help."

I bit down onto the inside of my cheek, contemplating my decision before looking over at him, "I'll get you a jacket. I don't want you catching a cold." I quickly rushed to the living room and grabbed Alex's jacket from the couch before handing it to Micah, "This belongs to Alex so make sure you don't get anything on it."

"Gotcha, captain," he chuckled before carefully unlocking the door and opening it for me to step out. "Are you sure you don't want to bring a jacket with you?"

"Positive," I nodded. "I don't get too cold easily."

"Well, we'll see about that," he whispered before shutting the door behind him and putting his shoes on. I mimicked his actions and the both of us proceeded down the street with our hands stuffed into our pockets. 

"It's so dark outside," he commented. "God, it feels nice being able to talk normally. I was getting tired whispering."

"You do an awful job at whispering well," I laughed. "I'm pretty sure Alex heard every word that came out of your mouth."

"Now how could that be?" he said, imitating an old man.

"Oh stop that," I chuckled, examining the empty street ahead of us. "But you're right, it's pretty dark out here."

"Are you scared of the dark, doctor?"  he teased, elbowing my side.

"Only a little bit," I admitted. "Don't make fun of me for it."

"Don't worry, nothing's gonna happen to you when I'm here," he said, flexing his muscles with the jacket still on. "Just look at these bad boys."

"I can barely see," I snorted before pointing to an empty swing set in the distance. "Wanna get on those?"

"Sure," he nodded before grabbing my hand and rushing over to the swings. We occupied each of the swings and he groaned, "Gross, it's wet."

"Yeah it just rained a while ago," I pointed out. "Obviously it's gonna be wet."

"My ass doesn't feel to good right now," he complained. "This feels like a waterslide."

"I'll give you a new pair of pants when we're home," I promised before staring off into the distance. 

"Hey, doc?" Micah called after a while of us sitting in absolute silence. I hummed in response. 

"That thing you asked me about Miles the other day," he edged. "Were you jealous?"