Chapter 10 [the rumours]

Indy awoke the next day in a room she did not recognise with a splitting headache. She groaned, rolled onto her side, and, trying to ignore the harsh lurch in her stomach as she settled there, she slowly blinked her heavy eyelids in an attempt to focus on the small glass of water perched on the night stand next to her.

The lights in the room were dim, but they were bright enough for her to see her surroundings well. She was in someone's quarters, that was for sure. The only person she remembered being around long enough to end up in a situation like this with was Doctor McCoy, but he was no where to be seen.

She looked down toward the end of the bed, sighing a breath of relief once she saw that she was still wearing her dress. It was a little wrinkled from her turning in her sleep, but nothing to show that any attempt had been make to take it off.

Huffing a sharp breath in, Indy prepared herself to sit up, and braced herself against the night stand as she did so. She took another deep breath in after she sat up, then noticed a note sitting under the glass of water.

She leaned over to read it, and saw a small, round turquoise-coloured tablet sitting on top of the note. Picking it up, she clutched in her hand and read the note:

Leave it to me to have real alcohol, right. Take that tablet I left for you and drink that whole glass of water too. I'll check up on you as soon as I can.
Good luck.

Indy read over the note a few times, lazily smiling at the doctor's half-cursive, half-uppercase handwriting, before taking the tablet. She drank the entire glass of water as she was told and, after a minute or two, felt well enough to stand.

She took small steps around the room just to get the feel for walking again. She hadn't had a hangover since her days at the Academy. Come to think of it, she hadn't really drank since her days at the Academy.

Looking around, Indy noticed that Doctor McCoy's quarters were a lot more open than hers were. There were hardly any walls or any furniture cluttering the walkways. The only wall that seemed to be protruding from the main walls was the one that separated the bed from the rest of the wide open space.

There was a private desk on the far side of the room that housed its own little computer, a stack of paper, a few books, and a cup of pens. Indy smiled at how simple everything looked, because it was not at all how she imagined his personal space being.

She imagined his room being full of antiques and childhood belongings; plenty of seating for people that would never visit him because he didn't want company. The only thing that would've made her think it was McCoy's room would've been the miniature liquor cabinet on the wall she stood by. Those same bottles the could faintly remember seeing the night before were sitting behind their glass door- one of them being empty.

She sighed and turned to the door closest to her. When it opened, she stepped into the office that ajoined with medbay.

"Did you ever figure out who was fighting, Christine?" An alien voice spoke.

Indy haulted in her tracks at the question, and took a few steps back to remain in the shadows of the dark office.

"Yes. It was Eastman and Harrison again."

"Oh, Juno."

Juno... Indy repeated in thought. The Olphiet equivalent to God...

"You think they'd consider couple's counseling?" The Olphiet asked.

"Not a chance." Nurse Chapel replied. "Not as long as Leonard's the therapist."

"Is she with him too?"