Best Couple

"Why are we doing this again?" Hunter asked as he looked at me in the mirror.

"Because it would be rude if we didn't." 

"I don't care if they think we're rude."

"Well, I do."

We had gotten named Best Business Couple and had to do a photo shoot for the magazine cover.

"This whole outfit is ugly and cringe. You don't have to match to know someone is a couple."

I turned to Hunter and fixed his collar which was sticking up. "The designer worked really hard on these Hunter and I think they look cute."

He grabbed my hands tightly and pulled them down. "People might think we're an actual couple but you shouldn't," he said then walked out.

He had been grumpy for the whole morning. He had practically come home drunk on Saturday and slept in the whole of yesterday.

I picked up my bag then followed him. He was heading straight to the door and not the kitchen.

"What about breakfast?"

"We'll get something on the way. Let's go," he said.

I got in the car and he started to drive. He drove for a few minutes before he pulled into a small shopping center. I followed him until we were inside a small bakery.

"Hello, what can I get you sir?" the cashier asked.

"Let me get four croissants and two expressos please."

"Alright sir, your total will be twelve dollars."

He paid the cashier then stood next to me.

"You knew exactly what I wanted," I said.

"Well, you're not that hard to figure out when it comes to food."

I laughed. I watched as some people in the bakery stared at us with smiles. I looked down and remembered Hunter and I were matching.

A little girl ran up to us and started talking so fast that I couldn't understand anything she was saying.

"Mya slow down." the mother said. "I'm so sorry she was asking if she could get a picture with you two. She wants to be in the field of business when she grows up."

"Yes."

"No."

Hunter and I both said simultaneously. You can guess who said no.

"Please, it would only be a quick second."

I turned to Hunter who was seriously thinking about it. "Hunter..."

"Fine," he grumbled.

The little girl took the picture and was gone in a second. The cashier brought the croissants and expressos then we left. Hunter and I started eating on the way.

"You're a real jerk you know that?" I said.

He looked at me confused before returning his gaze to the road.

"I can't believe you said no to that little girl."

"But I agreed after."

"That's only because you were put in a tough spot."

"The kid got her picture and that was all that mattered."

I can't believe Hunter saw things that way. We clearly had different values. I stayed quiet until we reached the building.

"Mr. and Mrs. Lodge you're both half an hour late." a woman said as she pulled me with another woman pulling Hunter. She took me to one room and Hunter went to another. She sat me down on the chair and started applying makeup to my face. I didn't put on any makeup because they'd notified me in advance that they would be doing my makeup. She was a pro because she only took around 15 minutes.

"Alright, let's get you to the photo room. Mr. Lodge should be finished already."

When we reached he was there waiting on his phone.

"Alright, let's get this show on the road." a man with a camera said. "Mr. Lodge, I want you to stand behind your wife and wrap your arms around her."

Hunter looked at the photographer like he had just asked him to commit murder.

"Is there a problem Mr. Lodge?"

"Of course not," he said as he walked over to me. I knew he didn't want to do this. He looked at me before standing behind me.

"Now wrap your arms around her."

"How about we not do that part," Hunter said in a rather rough tone.

The photographer raised his hands in surrender. "Whatever you wish Mr. Lodge."

He took one photo then stopped. "You two just got voted for best couple, I think you should look happier than that."

I gave a small smile without showing my teeth. He took the picture and seemed to be pleased with it.

"Okay, let me have Mrs. Lodge giving Mr. Lodge a kiss on the cheek," he ordered.

Hunter and I haven't done any sort of kissing since Saturday so things started to feel a little weird. I closed my eyes then kissed him on the cheek. We took some more of us together then some of us separately.

We were both pretty much used to this. Last year, Hunter got voted for Hottest Businessman of the Year. He wasn't going to be it this year because they try to use a different man each year. I'd been in quite a few magazines as well.

We were now walking back to the car.

"Where are we heading to now?" I asked.

"Work."

I checked the time on my phone and half of the day was already gone. "It's too late now."

"Okay, fine. Where do you want to go? Home?" he asked.

At the same time, my belly grumbled. "Let's get lunch, I'm starving."

He thought for a second. "Alright."

We drove to La Rosa restaurant. It was full but because of our status, we got in. Hunter and I reviewed our menus but I already knew all I wanted was spaghetti.

The waitress walked up to us. "You guys ready yet?"

"Yes, I'll have a spaghetti with just water please."

Hunter looked at me. "You came to a restaurant to have spaghetti and water?"

I nodded with a smile.

"Okay, well I guess I'll have the same," he said.

The waitress wrote down our order then left with our menus. Hunter sat back and started to stare at me. I tried to ignore it but his intense gaze felt very intimidating.

"Hunter, can you stop doing that?" I snapped.

"Doing what?"

"Staring at me."

He looked at me for some more seconds before going on his phone.

I called Jannette to see how everything was doing while we waited for our spaghetti.

"Everything is under control, Mrs. Lodge."

"Good. Did anyone drop by?"

"Yes actually. Mr. Bass came and wanted to know if you and Mr. Lodge have succeeded but he didn't specify in what."

I tensed. I knew exactly what he was talking about. He wanted to know if I was pregnant as yet. I looked at Hunter but all his attention was given to someone who he was texting.

"Mrs. Lodge, are you still there?"

"Um, yes Jannette."

"Your father wants me to bring him back an answer. What do I say? Yes or no?"

"Tell him soon. I have to go now bye." I said then hang up.

I stayed mostly quiet for the rest of the day.