Apologetic

I sat on the balcony because the weather was lovely today. I had neither seen nor spoken to Hunter today which was weird because it was a Sunday.

Just when my mind ran on him, he came on the balcony. He placed a burger wrapped in foil next to me. I looked at it for a while then back to him.

"What's this?"

"It's a burger."

"Yeah, but what's it for?"

He stayed quiet for a while. "For yesterday."

I raised an eyebrow. I think he was trying to apologize for yesterday. I gave him back. If he wanted to apologize he had to tell me straightforwardly. He made me apologize way too many times. It was his turn now.

He looked at it then back to me. "You don't want it?"

"If you want to apologize, tell me right out."

He folded his arms. "Why do I have to say it?"

"So I can know that you really meant it."

"But I do mean it."

"Then you shouldn't have a problem saying it out loud."

He glared at me. It was pride. Pride was eating him up and I won't allow it.

The security guard walked in. "Mr. Lodge."

Hunter ignored him and kept glaring at me.

"Mr. Lodge."

"What?" he shouted.

"Sorry to interrupt but your mother is at the gate. Do I let her in?"

His mother?

He placed his hands over his face. "Can this day get any worse?" he grumbled.

He put down his hands then sighed. "Let her in."

The security nodded then left.

I stayed quiet and watched him completely zone out. His face had gone from annoyed to no emotion at all. Sometimes I despised how easily he could do that.

The security brought in a woman that looked like she was in her late sixties. She was pretty for sure and looked like she was on the wilder side of life.

"Hunter it's good to see you!" she said.

He pulled out his wallet. "How much?"

"Hunter stop. I didn't come here for the money. I missed my son." she said then turned to me. "Who is this beautiful woman here?"

"That's my wife and she doesn't concern you. Now tell me how much," he said.

She looked down then sighed. "Around ten thousand."

He chuckled then put away his wallet. "I don't have ten thousand dollars just sitting in my wallet." he sighed. "Let me go get my checkbook."

She looked back up and stretched her hand to me.

"I'm Margret, Hunter's mom."

I shook her hand but didn't introduce myself. "Nice to meet you."

Hunter came back with a pen and his checkbook. He wrote on it then handed the paper to her. "Make that last. I don't want to see you again anytime soon."

She gave a sad smile then walked away.

I went to Hunter. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be? I'm used to this by now."

"I thought your mom was out of the picture."

He shook his head.

"Does your dad know about her?"

He shook his head. "No, and I'll like for it to remain that way. Margret only cares about herself. If my dad found out I was supporting her financially, he'd kill me."

"Why are you?"

"It's my fault she's in that position so it's the least I could do."

"It's not your fault Hunter! She made her decision!" I shouted.

He turned to me. "How would you know?"

I remembered Mr. Lodge specifically asked me not to tell Hunter that he told me about his mom so I lied to him.

"I don't. I'm just guessing."

He didn't believe me. "Can we stop talking about this please?"

I nodded. "What are we going to do now then?"

He looked at his watch. "I'm going to sleep," he said then left.

Once again I was on the balcony by myself. I got up and went to my room. I picked up my blanket and went to his room.

When I walked in he was naked with a towel around his waist.

"What are you doing?" he shouted.

"Relax, it's not anything I haven't seen before."

He folded his arms. "What are you doing in here with your blanket?"

I went up closer to him. "Let's watch a movie together."

"No."

"Come on Hunt. These are some of our last days before we become parents. Let's enjoy it while we can."

He tried to do the eye thing on me but I didn't give in this time. He rolled his eyes. "Okay fine."

I started rejoicing but he stopped me. "After I've finished showering."

I nodded then he went into the bathroom.

I turned on his TV to pick a movie. It was either between a romance or a musical. I decided to make Hunter choose when he came out.

I went downstairs to the kitchen to pop some popcorn. When I came back Hunter was out of the shower and was now towel drying his hair in front of the mirror. He had on black sweatpants but no shirt on. His chest was still wet and the water magnified his abs.

"Can you cover that up please?" I asked.

He looked confused for a while but then looked down. "I thought you said it isn't anything you didn't see before."

I turned away because I knew I was blushing. "Please."

"Fine."

I turned around and bumped into his hard, naked chest. "Hunter!"

"My shirts are over there," he said as he pointed to the closet behind me.

Right now I could die of embarrassment. I moved and allowed him to pass.

He pulled the shirt over his head then went on his bed. "What's wrong with you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"From ever since you came in the room you've been acting weird."

"No, I haven't!"

Have I?

He rolled his eyes. "Not gonna even argue with you. Start the movie."

"A romance or musical?"

"Neither."

"What why?"

"Musicals have too much singing and smiling. I hate romances."

"What's wrong with romances?"

"I don't believe in love."

I started to laugh. "You're joking right?"

He shook his head. His face was straighter than a ruler.

"Hunter love is real."

"There you go again with not differentiating between dreams from reality."

"I do know the differences."

"Well if you really knew, you would know that there is no such thing as love."

I ignored him and put on the romance. What was he thinking while saying there was no such thing as love. Looks like I'm going to have to prove him wrong.