Feelings

I woke up this morning and decided on a plan. I was going to avoid Hunter for the rest of our marriage. It was the only way that I could get through this situation. The business was expanding faster than expected so that meant we'll soon be able to get a divorce.

I got ready and went straight out the door. I didn't even go to the kitchen because I knew Hunter and Ms. Turner would be in there. I didn't want to talk to anyone today.

I was also skipping work today so I wore something casual. By the time I get home, Hunter would be long gone. I was going to my mom's grave. I hadn't visited since I told her I was getting married. Now, I'm going to tell her I was pregnant. I picked up the ice-creams then went.

"Hi mom." I began. "I just came to tell you I was pregnant. I also got over my fear of dogs, thanks to Hunter."

I moved around a bit. "How am I going to raise this baby without you?"

I promised myself I wouldn't cry this time so I picked up everything then left. I drove back home and all the tears started to fall.

When I opened the door, Hunter was just about to walk out. I wiped away the tears so it wouldn't look like I was crying but it didn't make sense because I knew my eyes were red.

He looked at me then tilted his head a bit. It looked like he was trying to examine me like he always does. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "Nothing, I couldn't find my keys." I lifted up my hands and showed him my keys. "Found them!"

I started to walk off but he grabbed my wrist tightly then pulled me back so that we were now facing each other again.

"I thought you said no more lies."

I stayed quiet. Did I have a bad poker face or was he just good at sniffing out my lies?

"Fine, you don't have to tell me but don't forget we have that charity thing later." he said then walked out.

I totally forgot we had that charity event tonight. I planned on watching sad movies and eating ice-cream tonight, not giving away money.

I took my laptop and worked in Hunter's office until later in the evening.

...

I wore the first dress that I saw in my closet. Hunter wore one of his usual event tux. We drove together to the hall but we didn't talk to each other. I believe he was trying to give me space.

Hunter was the one to give out the various donations because I couldn't stand long.

After he finished, he came and sat next to me. They were going to have a presentation but what I didn't know is that it was about me. They showed the charity I had the year after my mom died. I didn't want to use dad's money so I raised enough money to donate to girls without parents.

I sensed Hunter looking at me as they spoke but when I looked at him, he quickly looked away. I think he was shocked I actually did something like that.

A president of another company started to talk of how he fell in love while giving out charity. He encouraged anyone who is holding back not to. Both Hunter and I tensed in our seats. It was the longest and most awkward speech ever.

The event was over and we went home. I went straight to my bedroom and took off my clothes then turned on the shower. So many people hugged me tonight. I walked in the shower which was at the right temperature. Not cold, not warm and not hot.

I started to recall everything that happened today when I felt someone behind me. I jumped a bit then saw it was Hunter. He came closer to me and started to kiss me. As much as I wanted that, I pulled back.

"But what about what you said?"

He shook his head. "Forget about that, we'll figure it out later." he said then started to kiss me again. This time I kissed back.

...

When we were finished, we went by the sink to brush our teeth. I kept looking at him in the mirror. He caught me a few times. I was trying to figure him out. Does he like me or not? One day he will be kissing me then the next he will say he doesn't like me. No one gets to treat me like this.

He looked at me in the mirror. "What are you thinking about now?"

I rolled my eyes then walked out.

"Hey!" he shouted as he followed me. "What's your problem?"

I turned back to him. "You, you're my problem! What am I to you? You keep using me like I'm some toy!"

He looked away because he knew I was right. "I'm not."

"Then what are we?" I asked as I pointed back and forth to the space between us.

"We're married."

"That doesn't mean anything Hunter. The other day you said we were just in a business relationship. You can't keep doing this. I won't keep doing this."

He took my hand and pulled me to the bed. He sighed before he said anything else. "I am attracted to you okay?"

I looked at him shocked but waited for him to continue.

"I try to avoid you all the time but you annoying me doesn't help at all. You drive me so damn crazy sometimes. There's no rulebook on how to not catch feelings for the woman you shouldn't catch feelings for."

I froze at his words.

"I can't guarantee you that I'll be the perfect husband but I'm going to try. Please give me a chance-"

Before he could finish, I kissed him. I didn't do it to shut him up but I did it because he had already won me over.