CHAPTER 5

IRIS

Fiesta was over, and I was back at work again. I tried to live every day, even though I woke up each morning feeling weak. Before, I was a cheerful person at school, but when Albert died, things changed. I became distant from my co-teachers, except for my three friends. These three people understand the drama of my life, and I thank them for always being there beside me. They believe it will end soon, which I also wanted. I hope these struggles come to an end someday.

I was riding a tricycle when I noticed it suddenly slowing down, returning me to reality. I peeked outside and saw some men repairing a stretch of drainage canal at the side of the road. Since I was running late, I paid the driver, got off the tricycle, and decided to walk the rest of the way to school since it was close.

As I hurried forward, memories flooded my mind. I remembered when Albert and I walked down this street together, laughing and holding each other. Rain or shine, it never mattered. Trying not to cry, I kept walking until I realized I had crossed the street, and a loud beeping noise startled me back to reality.

I looked to my left and saw a delivery van approaching. My body froze in the middle of the road, and I closed my eyes until I felt someone wrap their arms around me, pulling me to safety. When I opened my eyes, I stood on the sidewalk, safe and sound.

A man stood in front of me, leaving me speechless. When I looked back down the street, the delivery van was driving away. Once again, focusing on the man, I was briefly astounded by his appearance. He appeared biracial, with a mix of Caucasian and Asian features. He was tall and young, and I assumed we were the same age. His long, slicked-back hair made him look even more attractive. I wondered who he was and whether he was new in town.

"That was close," the guy said in a husky tone. He smiled at me, exposing his perfect white teeth, and I felt like my reaction was lagging because it was late.

I only felt anxious when he had already saved me.

"Thanks," I said, realizing I was safe. I turned my head around and saw no one. No one had witnessed what happened except the two of us.

"Can I walk you to school?" the guy asked. I just nodded because his voice had enchanted me as if he had some hypnotizing power.

This was the first time I had seen a gorgeous-looking guy like him in our town, and I remembered the guy with pink hair, too. Geez! What was wrong with our town today? These handsome men were everywhere.

He put his left hand over my shoulder, and my chest began to pound fast. We crossed another street together while he looked from left to right and guided me to safety. I still couldn't talk, and there were butterflies in my stomach. My mood shifted from sad to that of a giddy teenage girl. If only my three friends were here with me. We were a cult now, and we would worship this guy beside me. The guy acted like my bodyguard until we reached the school gate. When we arrived, kids had already flooded the school's entrance while hurrying up for the flag ceremony.

I turned to him and said, "Thanks."

Blood rushed to my face. I walked away, but he stopped me again.

"Can I have your landline number?" he said.

This was ridiculous. Should I give it away? What was happening to me now? His voice enthralled me again, and I grabbed my ballpoint pen from my red shoulder bag, ripped a piece of paper from my journal, and wrote my landline number with feeling. I gave him the piece of paper while my hand shook from excitement. He gave me a hand gesture and said he would call me later. I pursed my lips while my eyeball moved upward in my eye socket.