CHAPTER 30

ERIER

The Aston Martin entered the yard and stopped before the main door. Iris and I went out and rushed inside the house. When we reached the living room, she stomped on the sofa, and from her facial expression, I could tell she was trying to calm down. I felt sorry for her.

I went to the kitchen and pulled out a tall, vertical canister concealed in one of those cabinets. I walked inside and took off my armor. When I returned to the living room, Iris stood at the open glass sliding door, gazing at the dark surroundings. I approached her and realized she was staring blankly into space.

I cleared my throat and asked her, "Are you okay now?"

Iris glanced at me, and her face had changed since the incident. She had dirt on her cheeks and forehead, and her eyes were swollen and red. I also noticed some wounds on her arms and the side of her face. She stared at me, and I felt awkward. Silence enveloped us both. She stepped forward, and I took a step backward.

I thought she would burst into tears again, but she asked, "Can I use your bathroom?"

Bathroom? I nodded, but I had no idea what she was talking about. Then she walked away, leaving me standing there.

"I'll find it upstairs," Iris said as she stepped onto the first stair tread. She glanced back at me. "And please, food and water too. Thanks."

I nodded again and smiled. I knew about human food and water and realized that I, too, had not eaten yet. I let Iris go upstairs as if she owned my house now.

I ordered Droid Butler to seek human food and water for Iris. He spread his metal wings and flew out of the house. I don't know how he could find it, but I trust that robot.

I went to the storage compartment in the kitchen and grabbed some Everian fluid. I was about to drink it when an idea came to my mind. My lips curled because I decided to eat with Iris.

Iris had stayed upstairs for a long time, so it gave me time to prepare the dining table while waiting for her. Based on all the information I had learned, this table was where humans ate their food. We don't have a custom of eating our food, so, interestingly, this kind of thing has a purpose.

Droid arrived carrying plastic bags with human food and drinks inside. He helped me prepare the dining table and taught me the importance of every little thing, like bowls, saucers, spoons, and forks. I never knew that their way of eating was complicated, while for us Xyle-vers, you grab the tube and sip it, easy as that.

"What's the occasion?" I jolted when Iris snapped behind me, causing me almost to drop the glass of water in my right hand.

I turned around and noticed Iris's face had changed again. It was fair and clean, while her hair was still wet. She smelled like a fragrant flower. She was wearing an oversized white t-shirt with Hard Rock Cafe prints. Her bottom was khaki cargo, and she was barefoot. When I stared at her from head to toe, I found it odd that those clothes were too large for her size. I think she got this stuff from my closet.

"Can I borrow these in the meantime?" Iris said. "I washed my uniform and my sneakers. In fairness, I love your bedroom. It has a washing machine inside your bathroom.

I nodded and wouldn't even mind if she used all those things in here. I wouldn't even care. I only realized now that because humans were too innocent, most of their lives revolved around material things. While we, as aliens, have lives that revolve around discovering new knowledge about our existence.

But when I discovered love, I thought this was the best knowledge I had learned here. It was the most priceless possession that Earth had ever had.

"It's not my birthday today. Why did you buy this kind of food?" Iris asked as she went to the dining table and took a seat.