CHAPTER 20

ERIER

I was beaming from ear to ear when I arrived at the house. I couldn't describe the overwhelming feeling. Now, I don't need to hide from Iris anymore. She knew who I was, and my plans had worked.

Just as I opened the main door, a bolt of laser light surprised me when I stepped in. I lurched backward to avoid it as fast as I could. It hit the bookcase near the sofa and exploded. I got back to my feet and stared around in confusion. From afar, I saw Okron glaring at me. I could read the fury in his eyes.

"Worthless scum!" He charged towards me for no apparent reason and fired successive shots of laser beams.

I quickly tapped my arms and activated the force field. I deflected those shots that turned the living room into a smoke-colored warzone.

"You are good for nothing!" He cursed me, kept firing, and was unstoppable. "All the things I heard from you were right. You are a failure and a useless scumbag. I can't fully imagine how you became a teacher. They should have granted this mission to a more capable Xylever, not an idiot birdbrain like you."

Then, I couldn't stand his infuriating words anymore. I deactivated the force field and retreated fast. When he noticed I was gone from his sight, he stopped. I yelled and jumped high. I snatched him from behind. I locked my arms over his neck. We both fell to the sofa and tumbled from our weight. I could feel the shaking of my fist from rage.

Okron has no right to judge me as if he knew my life. He knew nothing about how I felt or the reason why I quit. I punched his face, and his authority was no longer valid for me. He struck me as well, and the two of us fell to the ground until I managed to subdue him. I strangled his neck with my two hands, but he, too, did it, even though he kept struggling.

"Traitor," he said between his gasps. "You will pay for this."

"Say what you want." I also manage to say a word, yet I never back out. We both tightened our grip on each other's necks. "You could never stop me."

He let go of my neck and quickly tapped his right arm. He pushed me away with great force. I slipped from his hands, and I flung myself to the wall. I hit the flat television and then landed on the floor. I winced in pain at the fact that we could still feel it even though we were both in our human shells.

I tapped my arms, made another move, and leaped towards him. I grabbed him in the front this time. But we both suddenly hurled ourselves into the air and hit the sliding door. The glass shattered, and we ended up lying on the floor of the verandah. I tried to sit up. My eyes glanced around, searching for someone who had done it. But when I turned my head behind me, I saw Captain Zegyr inside. He was standing alongside Mamir, and smoke came out of his arms.

"Mamir put Okron away from Erier," he said.

Okron was persistent in attacking me once again, but Mamir rushed and stopped him.

Captain Zegyr came close to me and grabbed my left arm. "Stand up!" I followed him while clenching my hands. "You two are such an embarrassment to the group!" He exclaimed.

Okron's clenched fist glowed again, but Captain Zegyr would never let it. He raised his right arm, which also glowed. "Do it one more time, Okron," he warned him.

Okron put his arm down and shoved Mamir away from him. He walked away from us. Avara popped out of nowhere and blocked his way. She whispered something that made him stop.

"I'm sorry, captain. He started it," I said.

Captain Zegyr, let me go. He walked back to the living room and sat on a stool. He glanced at Okron. "Before you vent out your anger, Okron, you should have listened to him first."