Chapter 6

' Practice makes man perfect.'  How many of us have not heard this? None.

This quote is an inspiration to aspirants to always keep on going. So how could Anisha be different.

It had been over six months since she read a document thoroughly and make an assignment on it, much less make a presentation. She was sceptical of the sudden challenge put in front of her. But all she knew was she had to try and make something worthy to be even seen by her husband.

Meanwhile, Abhimanyu was sitting in the home office going through important documents for work. His secretary had indeed resigned all of a sudden and he had a few workers replace her for a day or two till the time he finds a perfect fit.

So when he heard Anisha ramble on the phone thinking it was her mother, he had a sudden hope of having Anisha as his secretary.

He had seen and heard of many cases where the secretaries end up having an affair with the boss. So what wrong could entail if his wife finds some interest in him after working in his close proximity?

All those thoughts had to wait for a night at the least.

With that he went downstairs to have his meal, which was a simple khichri ( porridge).

He was agitated when he saw the menu!

He never liked  khichri . To him it was bimaaro ka khaana ( food eaten in illness).

So he asked, " Maa, why khichri?"

To which she haughtily replied, " Anisha has not stepped out of the room since the time she came back from shopping!"

" To?" ( So?)

" To ye betaji ki aapki wife, Anisha itne time se khaana banati hai ki muje kitchen dekhna nahi padta. Aapki bhabhi paanch mahine pregnant hai aur mujhe agar wo bata deti ki wo nahi bana paaygi khaana to mein kuch accha banati, na!" ( So, my dear son, your wife has been cooking since a long time. I do not have to worry about kitchen anymore. Your sister-in-law is five months pregnant and if I would have been informed that your wife wouldn't step out of the room to cook, I would have cooked a lavish meal !)

Abhimanyu was stunned! It was his mother he heard spewing this typical nonsense!

Just when she completed that sentence she had stunned all the people in the dining room including the one who had finally left the room to grab a jug full of water.

Quick were the tears to escape her eyes. Quick were the words of her mother acting as a continuous radio in her ears.

She had expected too much of that sudden question in the morning.

She gulped hard the knot forming in her throat.

Her father was right, after all.

With those defeated thoughts she turned around, pretending as if she never heard those words of her mother in law.

Abhimanyu was not having this nonsensical behaviour. He  swiftly said, " To maa jab wo kaam karne jaaygi tab aap kya karoge? Din bhar usse taane doge, for working and being unable to fulfill her homely duties!" ( Mom, what happens when she starts working? Would you taunt her for being unable to fulfill her homely duties!")

Abhimanyu's mother glared at her son and said, " Betaji jab Anisha kaam par jaaygi tab me bohot khush hongi...meri bas ye shikayat hai ki muje bata de pehle kya ho raha hai? Is that too much to ask?" ( Son, I'll be very happy when Anisha goes to work...I've only one request inform me what is going on.. is that too much to ask?)

Abhimanyu dug his head in the plate and started eating the  khichri .

" No, mom next time onwards I'll make sure you have no grudges. "

This statement put a full stop to the conversation downstairs while Anisha was busy feeling guilty in the room, how could she not when she overheard them quarelling because of her!

It was about half an hour later when Abhimanyu stepped inside the room to find Anisha sitting on the chair biting her nails, completely abandoned project at the table.

" What is wrong?" his gruff voice startled her.

" Ji..." she hoped he would drop the subject instead he was just staring at her expectantly waiting for the answer.

Sighing she replied, " I overheard mom and your argument downstairs."

" How much?"

" She doesn't want me to work..." she sighed.

Abhimanyu scoffed and made his way to her side, " What is important is Anisha do you want to work?"

" I do" she squeaked.

His hand simply patted her shoulder and said , " Then what is stopping you from working? You complete that presentation and show it to me then we will discuss your work tomorrow night. Is that fine?"

" Yes."

Anisha smiled gratefully at him he had this uncanny ability of making her understand things.

Moreover she was happy it was there first proper conversation in these five to six months of marriage.

With a smile thrown at Abhimanyu she diverted her attention at the laptop and started working again while he just stared at her dazed by that beautiful smile.

+-+-+-+-+

Do you guys like Abhimanyu? Because I clearly am fond of him.