Chapter 30

" Badi hoke Anisha kya karegi?" Anil asked his seven year old. ( What will you do for a living?)

" Mein Papa ke jaise badi busi...business man banungi aur papa ka naam roshan karungi!" The little girl declared. ( I would become a businessman like dad and make him proud!)

The same little girl sat inside her cabin worried beyond words since the past two hours. No, Anil had not stayed this long but surely she had got no news regarding what happened inside the cabin. Abhimanyu made a good job of not at all addressing the issue, for that matter even addressing the fact that there was an issue!

She couldn't take it anymore and knocked on his door.

" Come in."

Anisha entered the cabin to find him completely immersed in a file. She looked around for signs of any dispute but found none. She sighed and sat in front of him.

He paid her no attention. She sometimes wished he looked at her as his wife when she sat like that in front of him. But since she was also his secretary, she knew there were better things to do than wonder why she had sat silently for the last two minutes.

Having had enough she cleared her throat, " Abhimanyu, I saw dad here."

" Yes. You saw correct." He replied with his nose still buried in the file.

She was irked but controlled her temper.

" Why was he here?" She breathed.

" We have a partnership together. Ofcourse, he came to discuss a few liabilities." He answered in a matter of fact voice still not facing her.

She frowned. If they had business partnership together would not she have seen the file by now, considering she was his secretary. " Was the issue resolved?"

" No. But I am looking after it personally."

Satisfied she got up and went outside the cabin. He not once lifted his eyes from the file. She was irked but he still answered her questions that was enough for the moment.

Finding a semblance of calm she got back to work.

Evening rolled in and it was time to head back home. Inside the car she noticed Abhimanyu was beside himself. She ignored the urge to question him and looked outside the window. Soon they were back inside their room and she was seated at the couch with her books.

Her mind could not concentrate and she finally decided to call her mother. It has been a while.

After four rings the call was answered but it was not her mother but her younger sister.

" Hello!"

" Esha, where is Maa?" She asked.

" Maa is busy. What do you want?" Esha asked in a clipped tone.

" I can call without any reason as well." She said.

" Sorry to break the bubble, Mrs. MaanSingh. But you can't call on my mother's phone as and when you wish. She or rather we all have enough on our plates because of your irresponsible behaviour and we don't wish to have more." Esha almost shouted at her.

" She is not just your mother." Anisha said with a heavy voice. There was a knot in her throat, making it harder to voice her thoughts loud. " I called because...dad visited Abhimanyu's office today. I wanted to know if any matter is there."

Esha listened to the calm and heavy voice of her elder sister. She was angry at her for throwing away their trust and handing over so many problems to them. She was practically responsible for the restraints Esha had. " Mrs. MaanSingh there is nothing to worry. Please do not call on this number anymore."

The phone was cut and line went dead. Anisha couldn't believe her ears. Esha told her not to call anymore. The same Esha whom she had forgiven n number of times when she made any mistake bug or small, the same girl who was like her own daughter.

Anisha could not hold her composure anymore and cried her heart out. It was not just her fault. They did not trust her. Society became more important to them than their own daughter! She was married to a man she never met, what happened to 'Apne pasand ke ladke se shaadi karna'? These thoughts only brought agony to her. She was unwanted by them and the sooner she makes peace with it the better.

As if the realisation was a bucket of cold water, she wiped the tears composed herself and got back to studying.

Abhimanyu entered the room at half past one only to find the lights on and Anisha's head buried inside the book. He smiled a faint smile and sat beside her.

" You are extra motivated today." He merely made an observation.

" Yes. I wasted a lot of time in the evening."

Nodding his head he pulled her hand between his and threaded their fingers together. He played with them and Anisha kept the book aside.

" What is it?" She asked.

" Dad and I are working together for the past three months now. We never had meetings in the office. What you saw today was one of those meetings. "

She did not say anything just looked at him.

" I wanted to tell you but then mom and kitchen and everything kept on happening and when you finally found a peaceful mind to study, I couldn't disturb you. " He finished staring at her with all his honesty.

But one thing kept on gnawing her head so she asked, " Abhimanyu, are they going through some crisis? I.. I called mom but Esha answered and she did not tell me anything."

Abhimanyu frowned and said, " No there is no crisis."

Anisha sighed in relief and leaned on his shoulder. " If there is any problem you would tell me, right?"

Abhimanyu nodded.

A few minutes passed and Anisha yawned. He smiled and eased out of the couch staring at her rubbing her eyes. He bent and picked her up bridal style.

She shrieked in surprise and he clutched her tighter to his chest.

He dropped her on the bed and shut all the lights. Time to sleep it was.