Chapter 11

With her arm locked around mine, we both smile as we walk up the few steps towards the front open doors to the massive venue that covers for quite some of the land around it

As soon as we enter, there is security standing there with their earpieces in and black suits checking people. We have to leave our bags in the machine next to us on the left side while we walk through the metal detector and then we take our stuff and head inside to the right side where the party is.

But the original party, the main reason for this ball is to the back on the left side.

Fiona's arm tightens around mine and I feel her shuffle closer to me but when my gaze lands on her face, she isn't showing any emotion, just a bright smile like all the women attending is wearing one. Fake. Utterly fake yet still believable enough.

Clearing my throat and looking away from Fiona, I step out of her hold and walk straight towards the metal detector since I have nothing and on me and then it beeps.

Instantly I feel Fiona's gaze on me. I look over my shoulder ever so slightly to see her putting her purse in the baskets to roll in the machine but her attention is on me. The slight trickle of fear in eyes is there yet I nod once to reassure her and look forward again.

The man standing in front of me who is bald and reaches close to my height, frowns at me. I go towards him and watch him remove my pen from my pocket since it is so visible and he motions to go back in there and walk through the machine again.

And I do.

Nothing beeps this time.

I watch as he inspects the pen, twirling it around and seeing it properly before giving me a curt nod and then handing it back to me.

It was easy. There is no weapon in the pen. None at all.

Just a camera that is activated at all times.

I wait for Fiona to walk through and get herself checked and let myself wonder back to her words in the car. We didn't speak after that because we arrived at the venue, she wordlessly waited for me to come around the car and just put her arm through mine and walked almost dragging me behind her.

There is a nagging feeling in the back of my mind.

About her.

All her. Even though I need to focus on this moment right here so we don't mess up, my thoughts keeping running around my head chanting the same thing over and over again.

'Death bed'

'Death bed'

'Death bed'

Fucking dying. Loosing life. Something I give people myself; I have seen it happen; people saw me as their last moment living. It was thrilling when they deserved it. I had a smile on my face each time death has made its presence known in the same room as me.