Chapter 36

Fire on fire by Sam Smith
Arcade by Duncan Laurence

Fire on fire by Sam SmithArcade by Duncan Laurence

Arius

What life doesn't teach many people is that villains are always just used. The heroes are ones more deserving for their endings.

The heroes are ones that fate is in favour of.

With my heart in my throat and panic twisting its way into my stomach, I watch the doctors rush about, touching machines, shouting at nurses who are frantically moving about.

I watch as they try to stabilise Fiona with electric shocks. I watch with my face breaking, my knees weakening at the woman fighting who has been the only person I have lived for.

I watch and watch not able to do anything.

The heart monitor is slowing and my heart hurts inside of my chest more than ever.

It hurts and hurts and hurts.

I feel weak, defeated against the world as the beeps and shouts drown out and I fall to the floor, my knees hitting the floor.

"Fiona, please," my whisper comes out choked as my emotions get a hold of me.

"You are the only thing keeping me together," I beg to myself, that's when I realise my eyes have began to blur and tears are falling down my face.

The heart monitor gets faster and faster until it shatters me.

The line goes silent.

My head snaps up and I watch as the nurses slow down and so do the doctors.

"No," I shake my head trying shake the feeling off.

A sweat breaks out on my back and I keep shaking my head.

"No, no, Fiona. You're fine." I get up from the floor and walk over to Fiona, grabbing her hand.

"Sir, you can't touch her-"

"No!" I shout pushing away whoever is trying to pull me back.

"No. Fiona, baby," I lean down towards Fiona's face.

She looks like she is resting, she looks okay. What are they talking about?

"She looks okay, you can't possibly believe machines that are made by man-kind," I choke out a laugh.

The room falls silent and I hear footsteps retreating.

Fiona doesn't move but I keep her hand in mine.

"I'm right here. I just wanted to tell you the only words I have been waiting to tell you."

"All my life, I just wanted to... tell you that I..." a soft cry rips out of me and I can't hold myself together anymore.

"I love you, Fiona." I whisper right as arms wrap around my shoulders.

"I love you and want you and only ever you Fiona. All this life was worth nothing, all these killings, all these sacrifices only for life to take you away from me?"