Chapter 9

Natalie

The next morning I stir as the light streams in the window, groaning as I try to shut my eyes tighter. I feel movement behind me and a strong arm wraps around my waist. I have a minor moment of panic until I remembered I had snuck into Eli's room. I relax into his hold, closing my eyes and trying to drift off to sleep. Until I heard heavy footsteps down the hall and the door creak open.

"E, Dad wants to know-" Jude cuts off when he sees me in Eli's bed. I keep my eyes closed, trying to pretend this isn't happening. Eli groans a little and sits up.

"Know what?" He asks and Jude clears his throat.

"About patrol. I'll handle it. You went last night." Jude says and Eli goes to get up.

"It's alright. It's my job I can go." He says.

"No. Stay. I got it." Jude says, closing the door behind him. Eli sighs and lays back down, snuggling into my back and tucking his face into my neck.

"Does he feel mad?" Eli asks. I reach out to my bond with Jude. I mostly try to ignore it, but I can't pretend it's not there.

"No. Just sad. A little jealous." I say and Eli nods.

"I'd be jealous too if I couldn't wake up to you and he could." He says quietly and I sigh, rolling over and snuggling closer to him.

"Am I keeping you from your duties?" I ask and he shakes his head, smiling at me.

"Nope. I was running a little late this morning, but I will just run training while Jude does patrol." He says and a yawn slips out before I close my eyes and nuzzle my face back into his bare chest. His wolf purrs at the touch and he runs his fingers through my hair again.

"It is hot as hell in here, baby. How can you stand not sleeping with air flow?" He asks incredulously and I giggle, shaking my head.

"Get a fan, Eli. Or I'll sleep in my own room." I say and he growls a little, pulling me close to his chest.

"No. I like you in here. I knew you couldn't stay away." He says with a smug smile.

"I guess not." I murmur, running my fingers through his hair. His leans into my touch, closing his eyes as if he's savoring the feeling. He leans down to catch my lips in a sweet kiss that has me heating up before he pulls away to smile at me.

"I love being able to do that now." He says, kissing down my jaw and neck.

"Can Jude feel it?" I ask curiously, not wanting to make things worse between them. But Eli just shrugs and continues to press kisses against my skin.

"I doubt it. If you have him blocked." He says and I nod.

"I do." I say, my voice breathless as he moves lower, his lips moving across my collar bone. He pulls away suddenly and stands up, smiling smugly at me.

"Gotta get ready for training." He says cheerfully and I growl a little at him, making him laugh. "You wanna shower with me?" He asks and I tilt my head back to laugh.

"No. I'll get ready in my own room and join you." I say and he rolls his eyes.

"I told you to take a day off." He says and I scoff at him.

"You're my mate. Not my Alpha." I say sternly and he chuckles again, pulling me in for a hug.

"I just don't want you to get overwhelmed. A lot has happened in the last couple of days. If you need some time to work through it all, no one would blame you." He says sweetly and his concern for me has my heart pattering with affection for him.