1.16 Shifting Gears

WARNING: Disturbing content, non-con

"I think it goes without saying that under no circumstances will I be used as bait for Count Borovsky," I stated while folding my arms in an intimidating manner.

"I don't think we'll need to use you as bait if he's really that obsessed with you," Nick responded. "He knows where you are, so he'll probably come here anyway."

I felt like Nick had just shattered all of my defences with that single line. He's right, the Count knows where to come and find me. It's just a matter of when he'll strike.

"R-Rather than wait around for him to appear, I should be running away as we speak, r-right?" I said in a trembling voice as I made my way back to my room to pull out that suitcase once more.

"You know you can't leave. You need Stefan after all..." Nick pointed out.

I wanted to start stomping my feet on the ground. Ugh, I hate that he's right. Either I stay here and prepare myself for the inevitable or take Stefan with me and run.

"Relax," Nick said as he placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I think I know what day he's likely to show up on."

With hope lighting up my entire face, I desperately clung to Nick's shirt. "Really? When?"

Nick hesitated before he decided to finally respond. "Tomorrow..." he said as his voice slowly trailed off.

That has to be a miscalculation on his end! That's way too soon! I'm not even mentally prepared to face him again like this!

I fell to the kitchen floor in despair and laughed to myself in a pitiful voice. "I'm so fucked." I looked up at Nick blankly. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier? I would've spent these last few days preparing instead of moping around, had I known!"

"I'm sorry," Nick said as he crouched to the floor. "But don't worry, I've been doing my own preparation in the meantime." He said in a reassuring voice.

"Like what?" I asked dejectedly.

"For starters, I forked aside some of my weekly allowance for this..." Nick started as he took out a bag from one of the kitchen cabinets. Once he placed it on the table, out poured various planks of wood.

"Are we going to barricade ourselves inside?" I asked in confusion.

"No," Nick said plainly in response. "We're going to carve them into stakes!"

I raised an eyebrow. Nick sure is gung-ho about his plan. "How else do you think I'll stop the hunt?" Nick explained. "I need the Count dead to complete my mission."

If he thinks he can pull it off, then be my guest. A dead Bennett is always a good thing in my books. I just think Nick might be overestimating himself when it comes to dealing with that monster.

Nevertheless, I wasted no time helping Nick carve the stakes. Man, I can't wait to see the look on Bennett's face when this is plunged straight into his chest!

As I made my way back to my bedroom with Stefan's dinner tray in hand, I could hear the distant sound of arguing down the hall. Rather than intrude, I hid behind the corner as I waited for the bickering to cease.

"I tried talking to the boy, but he refuses to listen to me," Johnathan said in a tired and almost defeated voice.

"It looks like I'll be travelling alone in that case." Mr Grigori replied.

"Nonsense, I'll accompany you on this trip. You look like you could do with a friend."

"That won't be necessary. You should stay and help Vana keep watch over Stefan."

"I'm positive that miss Vana is more than capable of taking care of him on her own. Besides..." Johnathan hesitated. "I would also like to visit Sorina's grave. It's been long overdue..."

...

"Very well then. The coach will be leaving at six a.m. sharp. I advise you to pack straight away. It will be quite a long journey."

Once they parted ways, I continued on my way back to my room. I suppose this works out well for me. It assures me that Stefan will be here to protect me if things were to go array with Count Borovsky.

"Stefan, are you hungry?" I asked as I opened the door with my elbow. As I placed the tray down on the nightstand, I looked around the room for Stefan, but he was nowhere to be found. "Stefan—"

"What's so great about Nick?" Stefan demanded. As I craned my neck around to look up at Stefan who had me locked in a hold from behind, I was taken aback by his angry face covered in tears.

"What are you talking about?" I asked cautiously.

"You were thinking about how reliable he was." Stefan stuttered. "You want to depend on him... m-m-more than me!"

"Can you... hear my inner thoughts?" There's no way, right?

Stefan nodded his head as he brought my hand to his temple as he nuzzled into it. "We're connected. Everything you think and feel... it goes through me too."

God that's creepy. Stefan's face slowly contorted into one of sadness. "You're scared of me..."

Ah. I tried to break free from Stefan's hold, but with every step I took back, he took one more foreword as he refused to loosen his hold on me. "I just care about you, Vana. You know that, right?"

"Stefan, please let go of me," I said in a serious tone as I tried to create distance between us.

"Please don't abandon me. I'm tired of being alone." Stefan maintained as his hold on my wrist tightened.

"Stefan, y-you're hurting me!" I choked out in a whimper. At this rate, my only option was to try and forcefully yank my hand free before he broke my wrist.

"I LOVE YOU, VANA!" Stefan professed as I finally managed to free my arm. But in the process, I ended up stumping backwards and banging my head against the mirror.

As I fell to the floor, I felt myself wince as I was surrounded by shattered glass. As I slowly lifted the bottom of my skirt up, I saw a huge shard of glass lodged into my calf.

"Oh no, you're hurt," Stefan remarked in a monotone voice. "Don't worry, I'll heal you!" Stefan declared as he grabbed my leg and started to lap up all the blood.

"Stop it, Stefan—"

"Drink," Stefan ordered coldly as he shoved his bloody wrist straight in my face.