3.6 Group Meeting

"What do you think he is? A wendigo perhaps?" I asked Nick while never taking my eyes off Cyrus. It was fascinating to watch Cyrus bite on the random Knick knacks on my dresser. It was like he was a toddler...

"No, I don't think that's it," Nick said confidently as he leaned back into the chair beside my desk. "He has the characteristics of one, sure. But appearance-wise? No, not at all."

As I huddled my legs closer to my chest on the bed, my shoulders sunk. "Then what?"

"Based on what you told me about the cocoon, it's throwing me off. I can't even think of another species in fiction that's like him." Nick turned his head to face Cyrus. "Hey, do you know what you are?"

Cyrus stopped biting on the snow globe he was holding and gently placed it down. As he narrowed his eyes at Nick, he made his way towards me on the bed. As he rested his head on my shoulder he spoke up in annoyance.

"That's what I'd like to know." Cyrus' expression softened as he looked up at me. "I was abandoned by my kind, that's all I can remember."

"And you're sure about that, right?" I asked in great alarm. "There's no one else you shared history with, is there?" I asked in distraught as I grabbed Cyrus by the shoulders.

"Woah, calm down there. What's got you so riled up?" Nick asked as he propped one leg up over his knee.

I looked down sadly. "Do you remember that guy who was chasing after me in the other world? Bennett?"

Nick nodded his head silently. After a brief pause, I spoke up to elaborate further. "Well, I've noticed a pattern. Everybody he reincarnates into seems to share history with my capture targets."

If Cyrus doesn't know anyone but Nick and me then it's going to be harder to narrow down who Bennett might be. He could be anyone in this town...

"I see..." Nick scratched his head in uncertainty. "That guy seems like bad news... Why is he so fixated on you anyway?"

It's probably because I made him feel seen. God was I an idiot for doing that. Had I done nothing at all, my life could've gone differently...

"Is it because he doesn't approve of me? I can't see why else he'd be acting out like this..." my father said sadly as my stepmother sat down to comfort him.

"It's not you. He's always been like this. If it's someone he dislikes, then it's probably me." My stepmother remarked as she pulled out a tissue. "I always turned a blind eye to how Derek treated him. Had I intervened sooner then Derek wouldn't have hit..."

"Hey, hey. Don't blame yourself." My father said cooingly as he wrapped her up in his arms. "Derek was a violent man. So, it's not your fault. You were also a victim in all of this."

As I stepped away from the shadows, I collided with the floor with an unexpected force. "I-I'm sorry!" I apologised quickly to Bennett. As I scrambled to my feet, I noticed that his knuckles were bloody. "You're hurt..."

Bennett remained silent as he avoided eye contact with me. At that moment you can say my protective instincts kicked in as I dragged Bennett to the bathroom.

"You don't have to do this," Bennett said in a blank voice as he watched me wash his hand.

"Of course, I do. It'll only get infected if left untreated." I looked towards Bennett with a sour expression. "You need to stop getting into fights! Getting mad at the world won't make you feel any better!"

"Hmph. Why do you care what I do anyway?" Bennett grumbled sulkily while diverting his eyes from mine.

"Because you're family now." I tightened my grip on his hand as I shook it in the air. "So, you're someone important to me, whether you like it or not."

Bennett stared at me in surprise as he started to blush. "I'm... someone important to you?"

If it weren't for that dumb one-time act of kindness, then Bennett wouldn't have become fascinated by me. It was as I continued to treat him with kindness that his obsession with having me by his side spiralled out of control.

"What a nutcase..." Nick commented. "I'm so sorry about everything you had to go through..."

I sadly pursed my lips as I huddled closer to my knees. "It is what it is..." I gloomily accepted. "But I'm curious... I don't really know much about you either Nick."

Nick raised an eyebrow in intrigue. "You want to hear my life story? I don't think it's really all that interesting though."

I forced a sheepish smile. "C'mon, I shared mine with you. So, it's only fair that you do the same!"

There was a pause before Nick finally decided to speak up.

"You could say I spent most of my life cooped up in a hospital bed..." Nick started. "When you're terminally ill, you don't get to experience life the same way as other people do."

Nick looked out the window longingly. "So, when I eventually kicked the bucket, I was given a do-over like you." Nick slowly nodded to himself. "I told myself I'd appreciate the opportunity and take nothing for granted anymore."

Nick gave me a soft smile and a chuckle. "Now you know why I'm in no rush to retire to the afterlife. Hopping from world to world is something that makes me feel alive."

I wish I could feel as excited as Nick. In any case, though, I'm happy that Nick is at least content with the whole transmigration thing. It explains the carefree attitude when it comes to him succeeding or failing his missions...

"I plan on retiring to the afterlife as soon as possible," I stated. "It's too dangerous for me to stay in any of these worlds for too long..."

Nick looked at me with a hint of sadness in his eyes. "I'll miss you. I've never met another transmigrator like you before..."

Ah geez, I clutched my chest as I felt my heart skip a beat. I didn't think I could swoon over a line like that. Ugh, I can't allow myself to get too attached, I'll regret it in the end!

"In any case, how about we help each other complete our missions. Y'know like last time?" Nick said as he walked towards my bedroom window.

"Yeah, sure. But... what's your mission?" I asked slightly leaning forward as Cyrus clung to my arm.

"My boss and your boss used to date in high school. But they called things off before going their separate ways in college. So, it's my mission to reunite those high school sweethearts after all these years!" Nick proclaimed playfully with a grin.

Man, that's so unfair! "Why do you get to have an easy mission? I have to help mould my targets which isn't exactly a walk in the park..." Well actually, calling it easy might be disingenuous. Ms McCollin isn't exactly the type to warm up to others so easily...

"Well, you see, all of my missions are centred around peace-making. Which is nice but the difficulty of said missions tends to fluctuate..."

From stopping the big bad to playing matchmaker, I suppose you won't know what to expect next. At least I know what I'll be getting myself into in each new world...