2.2 Lair of the Beast

How strange... zombies don't usually kill one of their own kind. They're one-track minded creatures whose sole purpose is to hunt down humans to feast on their brains. So, competition is the last thing they would ever think of.

But then why? Why is this zombie before me attacking his comrades? As much as the question interested me, I knew better than to hang around and risk becoming his next victim. So, with that being said, I slowly crawled away as the strange zombie was far too preoccupied with ripping the hearts out from his other fellow zombies.

As I slowly made my way out of the scuffle, a heart was suddenly thrust before me. With no other choice, I slowly craned my neck around once more to see the strange zombie standing tall as the victor over the bodies of his comrades.

If he had no qualms with ripping the hearts out from other zombies, then there's no wondering what kind of gruesome fate will await me next! "AHHHH!" I screamed as I started to run down the hall.

I didn't once look back at my pursuer. I feared that if I did, then I might trip over my own two feet once more. So, I simply kept running to my heart's content.

I ended up reaching a dead-end like I previously anticipated. But luckily there was a nearby room I could duck inside. As I locked the door behind me, I slowly dropped to the floor as I tried to catch my breath. The janitor's closet isn't the best place to hide, but it sure as hell beats that small, cramped cupboard!

Despite having good stamina, I'm sure it won't do me much good in my current state. I'm already starting to feel famished from the lack of food. So, this aimless running around is anything but good for me!

As I held my head between my knees, I shot up in alarm when I heard more rattling. Oh c'mon, give me a break already!

Hastily, I tried looking around the room for anything that might help me get out of this mess. A secret escape hatch would be just perfect right now! But alas, this was just your typical janitor's closet I was trapped in.

Almost as if it was one cue, the door broke from its hinges and the undead figure slowly approached me.

"Please..." I pleaded while scooting backwards. "My brain really doesn't taste good!"

As I clenched my eyes shut while looking away, I braced myself for my death any second now. As I felt his cold-rotting touch on my cheek, I let out a squeal as my toes curled in dread. And with one quick heave, I was hoisted onto the zombie's shoulders.

Huh? Is this supposed to happen? As I opened my eyes to see what was going on, the dirty-blonde headed zombie simply started to walk away with me in his hold.

Is he perhaps taking me back to his lair to feast on me there? Or is this just all part of that thought-out narrative the pesky goddess has created for me? Feeling unsure of the matter, I opened my status window to see if any new developments were made.

Mission objective: Help Luka achieve S-Rank

What the hell is S-Rank? Ugh, the worst thing about being a mob character is not retaining previous memories from the former host. It looks like I'll need to find someone else to explain what the whole deal is with this world and its ranking system.

But apart from that, there was something else that piqued my interest. "Your name is Luka?" I turned my head around to ask.

The zombie stopped walking. He looked deeply into my eyes, but he didn't say a word. Instead, he simply went back to walking, or should I say limping. His answer or lack thereof for the matter spoke volumes in any case. It helped rid me of any doubt and only strengthened my convictions. This man can without a doubt understand me!

As we continued on with our journey into the unknown, I felt my dread build up inside. I don't know where he's taking me but the fact that it's somewhere within this dark and creepy forest does nothing to levitate me of my troubled thoughts.

Once we made our way towards a set of train tracks by a clearing, I knew right then and there where he was taking me. It was the abandoned train up ahead. This is his lair. This is where he's going to eat me.

"NO! NO! NOOO!" I screamed as I tried to wiggle my way out of his arms. "PUT ME DOWN RIGHT NOW!"

But alas, it was futile. He's unusually strong for a dead person as my thrashing about had little effect on him. No matter what I did, he was hellbent on getting me inside that train one way or another.

To my relief, it wasn't as bad as I thought inside. From the looks of it, all the train carts appear to be empty so perhaps I mightn't have to worry about another zombie ambush. But the train still had this ominous feeling about it.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it apart from the unusual decor. The cart I was in was littered with all sorts of old metallic trinkets hanging from the ceiling. It almost reminded me of a rustier version of a baby's mobile.

As Luka released me to the floor with a slight thud, I quickly retreated into the closest corner seat I could find.

"What do you want from me?" I asked hopelessly as I made a pointless cross gesture with my fingers. "D-Do you just want to eat me?"

Luka said nothing. Instead, he limped towards me at a slow and exhausting pace. When it comes to zombies, they don't have the same weaknesses as vampires do. So, I'm at a loss of what to do right now.

I can't kill him because I need him to complete my objective, but there's also the possibility of him killing ME in the end. Ugh, this is the worst!

As Luka slowly crawled his way beside me on the seat, all I could do was retreat further into my corner. Not wanting to bear witness to my own death, I clenched my eyes as tight as I could.

It was quick and swift. And in all honesty, it was completely unexpected. Luka simply laid his head on my lap as he went to sleep.