Chapter 8

Mila's POV

Avery decides to head back with me rather than staying on the tour bus which I don't mind at all. I'll get all the information I need straight from the source rather than doing some extra research and calling a few people up.

"So which technique did you get to work on?" I ask to break the silence and look over at the blonde who now looks back at me confused.

"Technique? For what?" She asks with a raised eyebrow

"You know... for example I'm the bright, hot but approachable type. The fake vulnerable dumb pretty girl type. What was your character supposed to be? Blend in as much as possible?" I question her and speed up a little more.

"Oh! Oh right... yeah we didn't get to learn any of that. We were taught all the different techniques because the tutors claimed that they don't believe settling for one personality. You have to be a chameleon in order to blend in to any situation. Read the room better than the assassins from like 6-10 years ago." She says nonchalantly before looking over at me.

"Oh man. You were one of the assassins from 6-10 years ago." She states and leans her arm against the car door before looking away from me.

"Hmm." I hum and clear my throat. "Worry not though. Even with that extra funding you've got for self defence I totally kicked your ass." I point out with a shrug.

"Uh no you didn't! I was clearly still dizzy after fainting?!" She jumps up a bit and faces me.

"All I'll say is... you're lucky I wasn't actually sent out to kill you because you'd be long gone. No one would stop what they're doing and wait for you to get back to your 100% self again. You would have been an easy target." I point out and glance at her again.

"Oh please! I could take you any day!" Avery exclaims and throws her hands in the air.

"You sure about that?" I ask and glance at the blonde with a smirk. She nods confidently and I look back at the road. "Well then. Do you think you fully recovered and there's no more dizzy spell lingering? Could you 'take me' right now?" I ask again and turn to look at her.

"Eyes on the road Mila!" She hisses and stays quiet for a minute before answering "yeah. I think I'm totally back to normal and I could totally kick your ass." The girl nods with a smile.

Her smile suddenly changed into a look of horror when I come to a screeching halt on the side of the road and get out of the car. I start walking into the forest looking for the safest and clearest place to do this. I turn back to find Avery still sitting in the car looking confused as ever.

"Well come on then! Show me what you've got!" I shout loud enough. When I see no signs of her moving I decide to tease her "unless you were talking shit this whole time and you can't actually win?"

This has her storming out of the car and running towards me. Next thing I know she's face down on the floor after she tried to unsuccessfully tackle me.

"You bitch!" She growls before jumping up and stretching.

"I bet I won't have to hit you more than five times and you'll be down begging for mercy" I challenge her and wink.

This has her turning red and charging towards me again but I move out of the way just in time to have her thinking I barely escaped. Just so I wouldn't totally crush her ego.

"I bet you won't even hit me more than twice!" I challenge her some more and laugh when she growls. But instead of running she's slowly walking towards me as if she's trying to calculate my next move. Good luck with that, not even I know my next move unless an opportunity arises. That's how I always stay ahead of the game.

"I promise I'll be nice and won't break that pretty little nose of yours. Can't promise I won't bruise anything else though" the blonde says with a shrug and takes another step closer towards me. I can tell she'll try to find the perfect time to attack. To surprise me.

Just as suspected she tries to swing at me multiple times and stops when I dodge all five blows.

"Close... but not close enough!" I say crossing my arms and holding back a yawn.

"See this isn't even worth either of our time. We're not even fighting if you're running and dodging all my hits." Avery points out and crosses her arms too.

"Oh I'm waiting for the right time when you tire yourself out so I could knock you out. Or wait for you to trip on that root that you're about to trip on." I say and nod towards the floor.

"I'm not falling for that." She grumbles but steps a few steps back and quickly glances down to see that there was a green root sticking out but was almost invisible. I use this opportunity to tackle her again like I did earlier today but this time I straddle her and hold her arms above her head.

"I'm getting some sort of feeling of deja vu. Are you?" I ask wide eyed and giggle.

She tries her hardest to shake me or kick me off of her but my grip on her is too tight this time.

"Are you giving up yet? How about we use our special safe word 'lampshade'?" I ask in a soft voice and lean closer.

"Never!" She exclaims and thrusts her hips up which catches me off guard and has me flying off of her. It's her turn to straddle me and hold my arms above my head while her legs are tangled with mine.

"Okay are we allowed to actually make one another bleed?" I ask squinting my eyes at her from the bright sunlight.

"Sure... just no broken noses or bruises under the eyes. I have to stay pretty whilst travelling" she says with a shrug.

"Deal!" I exclaim before head butting her. She instantly rolls off of me which gives me enough time to her up. Avery jumps up too and spits some blood out while she's at it.

"Jokes on you I'm into that!" She says with an evil grin before launching herself at me. I'm a bit faster than her which helps me to outrun her and turn around fast enough to trip her over but before she lands face first I catch her by the jacket collar.

"Are you giving up her?" I ask her again and when she shakes her head no I let go of her and let her hit the floor.

"How unfortunate. You'll never win." I say with a sad sigh and continue walking away from her. This time I don't hear her get up or approach me so before I even look back she jumps onto me and starts strangling me from the back. Shit. I didn't have time to breathe in.

"How about you give up? I know how hard to hold for you to pass out and admit my victory" she whispers in my ear.

I look around quickly before running backwards into a tree which results in Avery being squished. Hard. She lets go of my throat and starts gasping for air herself.

I laugh breathlessly and straighten up at the same time as she does.

"That was fun. Are we still going?" I ask and tilt my head playfully.

She nods and catches her breath for a hot minute.

She stares at me for a little while calculating as to what she should do and how. Once again she charges towards me and this time I don't dodge her. This time I extend my arm, step aside and let her run straight into it which almost knocks her out. Once she's on the floor again I grab her by the ankle and start dragging her back towards the car.

"Look this is fun and all but we've got places to be and I'd appreciate it if..." the world goes blurry at first and then it all goes pitch black.