Chapter 20

Avery's POV

"...and because of your unresolved mommy issues you're just another case of a fucking waste of space that I have to interrogate in order to find the victim. This is seriously getting too boring and too repetitive man. Either tell me where she is and I might spare you or I'll just hack all of your stuff, find all your dirty secrets and beat the shit out of you. I'm hoping for the latter because I'll get some of my frustrations out and I can guarantee you I'll find all of your buddies that do this shit as well and drag you under the bus. I'll keep you alive long enough so you'd either kill each other off or just do it yourself." I say calmly to the man in front of me who was tied up to a chair in some random abandoned warehouse. Just a typical Tuesday for me at this point. To be fair on Tuesdays I went after some shady fucks that weren't doing good for the society and were mixed up in something really fucked up like human trafficking or beating up their significant others. Or whatever fell along those lines.

Sure how I went about it wasn't the best because I'd either leave them seriously injured and fighting for their lives or just kill them as soon as I got the needed information from them. Sometimes I'd even make them write up a confession and send it over to the police as an anonymous tip or allow them to find the criminals body already cold and decomposing with a few hints from myself here and there of how to find them and any other names they should be looking into.

Currently I sat across a sorry excuse of a man who had been beating up his wife and kids for as long as the kids could remember. The older sibling was now in his late twenties and was worried about his mother who he hadn't heard from for over a week now. He went to visit the house himself but it was empty. He tried every other place he could think of and used my services as a last resort.

We sit in silence for another two minutes which makes me impatient so I look down at my watch and sigh rolling my eyes.

"You ran out of time. And because you wasted my precious time I'll make sure to expose you for what you did so no one comes to your funeral... Actually I'll make sure they'll just get rid of your body and don't even hold a proper funeral." I say in a monotone voice whilst getting up from my seat. I'm about to pick up a crowbar before I pause and take off my watch. Can't break another one can I?

A good hour later I'm sitting at my desk in my fancy spacious office while listening to the client that had been coming in for a few weeks now. There's some good progress with this one. There's potential.

"So when I look at these images I don't feel anything anymore. Like it's all blank. It doesn't strike me in any way." The woman in front of me states while staring at a gruesome picture I placed in front of her earlier on. It was one of the pictures from a crime scene that shook the whole city a good month ago. 35 days to be exact.

"You were there weren't you? Do you remember how you felt when it all escalated?" I ask looking over at the woman with the same blank stare as me.

"I only felt thrill. It made me feel somewhat alive for the first time in years." She responds looking back at me.

I nod slowly before leaning back in my chair.

"How did you feel about Miranda Andreas?" I ask tilting my head and try to keep the same expression as earlier. Have to stay professional.

The woman in front of me clenches her jaw and I can see pain flash in her darkened blue eyes for a split second before she leans back in her seat and grips on the arm rest so hard that her knuckles turn pale.

"Same way you felt about Mila Aros." She responds and tilts her head too.

I can feel my whole world crashing down again and I nearly jump out of my seat to reconstruct her face with my firsts but instead I nod a few times slowly and smile a little.