Chapter 13

Avery's POV

I run around the building looking for the brunette and become more and more frustrated with myself. I should have told her that I've tempered with the gun. I should have been honest from the get go instead of trying to run away from my problems.

This was the biggest issue I've been battening since my teenage years and I didn't want to make the same mistakes again.

Sometimes I'd get too manic and too excited about a new potential relationship which would leave me in the most horrible and toxic situations anyone could imagine. And it wasn't necessarily a romantic relationship. I've been in toxic friendships too where they would use me or I would use them until I saw no purpose of keeping them around and bounced.

I've been to therapy and thought I won the battle. I thought I could be normal as much as my career will allow it but Mila had awoken some strong feelings in me once again and I felt the obsession taking over me again. Or... was it infatuation? It felt slightly different this time but it might have been my brain trying to trick me into it again.

Instead of talking things through I chose the easy way out. Hurt her in order to push her away so she wouldn't actually get hurt by me like others even if it costs my own happiness.

Feeling like I've done enough of running around I step outside through the back door and walk towards the parking lot where I had parked a car I rented for the day. I get in and try to figure out a way to see Mila again.

Wait! No... I should leave her alone and call it a day. She'd be the lucky one that got away. Right. It'll take a while to forget about her but I'll soon find another distraction to help the process. Perfect plan. Time to execute it!

30 minutes later

I'm following Mila's white BMW two cars behind so she wouldn't get too suspicious just so I could have her listen to me and my reasons.

Okay. I know I told myself I'd stay away and find a distraction but I can't move on until I speak my truth. That'll give me a peace of mind so I could just watch her go. I'll tell her to disappear and never come back for her own good.

The only reason of me knowing where she was, was the fact that I sat in the car staring into the abyss until my eyes focused onto her carefully making her way to her car. She must have been trying to sneak away from me but little did she know she was already spotted by me so those efforts were useless.

After a little more driving I watch her park the car in one of the parking spaces by some foresty area.

I naturally park a few cars down and wait a few minutes before exiting the car. I decided to give her some space and go deeper into the forest so we'd have more privacy once I was comfortable speaking to her.

We seem to have gone far enough so I picked up my pace to catch up with her and finally get her attention

"You reckon we got far enough for you to kill me?" Mila suddenly speaks up and stops dead in her tracks. She stays there with her back facing me.

"I'm not here to kill you" I stare and slowly make my way closer to her. Step by step.

Once I'm a few steps away she decides to turn around agonisingly slow.

I feel my heart clench and my stomach turn when I see the empty look in her eyes. I caused this pain.

"Then why else would you be here?" She whispers and slightly tilts her head with a sad smile "to torture me some more?"

"Just to speak my mind. Or try to explain why all of this happened." I notice that I'm whispering too as if I was going to startle her if I spoke up louder.