Chapter 12

Mila's POV

I wake up with a splitting headache and slowly sit up whilst rubbing my head. Two strikes within a few hours isn't the best thing for the brain but at least it meant I got some much needed sleep.

"Shit!" I gasp and look around the room to see if Avery was still there. Of course she wasn't. At least she popped me onto the bed before she left. How kind of her.

I check my pockets in attempt to find my phone so I could see what time it was. It was just about three in the morning and I know damn well that if Avery took that flight she's about to land. I decide to do some snooping around just to see where she might be going. She had booked a hotel room for the day and I'm assuming she'll be sleeping there rather than exploring. She hasn't sleep in a couple of days by the looks of it.

At midnight she's meant to get on the flight to Lithuania and from the capital she's meant to get to another town just a couple of hours away. If that's still her plan. I decide to skip the two countries and instead I head straight to Riga. I might just bump into her there and besides, I've got a job there first.

I collect my belongings and head out feeling like I look very casual. Once I get downstairs I see some police officers speaking to some staff. They glance at me but since they don't say anything I continue walking towards the exit. Once I'm out I get in my rental and when I get far enough I speed down the roads to get to the airport.

A day later

I plop down onto a chair nearby and try to catch my breath. This one was an athletic one.

I look down at my bloody hands and grimace shaking them off. Most of it was hers but some of it was mine from all the punches I had to throw since she was a fighter.

After I finally catch my breath I look around and try to trace back what I've touched not that it really matters since on the system it states that I died four years back due to an overdose or whatever.

My mind seems to drift over to Avery once in a while. She's been really good at hiding her every move and her ways have been almost perfect. Keyword almost. I pull out my phone to look at the time and how long it'll take me to get to where she is.

"Well shit" I mumble before running off into the nearest bathroom to wash my hands best to my ability before I dash out the fire escape and right into my new rental car. Not that it was anything flashy but it was a comfortable white bmw that would her me from place to place for the time being.

I just about made it to the old KGB building that was now a museum. Avery would either be here by now or was just about to walk in through the door. I made sure to skip a few bits and head a bit further out to make sure that when she runs into me it would be quiet and private.

After a little while I heard some footsteps approaching and peeked around the corner. It was finally her.

"I'm expecting an apology for knocking me out twice on the same day." I state coming around the corner and lean against the wall with my arms crossed.

Avery stares me for a solid 2 minutes in complete silence to a point where I feel like I actually broke her. All of a sudden her fist is flying towards my face and I nearly dodge it but she still manages to catch my bottom lip.

I groan in pain and my hand flies up to my mouth to check the damage. Wiping the blood onto my black sweatshirt I spit out some blood as well and shake my head slowly.

"Okay look. I might have been a bit of a dickhead but there's no need to be throwing punches like that. " I state and raise my hands in order to show her that I'm harmless and that I don't want to fight.

She stays still for a minute before charging towards me again full speed and once she reaches me she shoves me against the wall which knocks the wind right out of my lungs which is a horrible way to go when I realise she's got her hands around my neck and it's becoming harder and harder to stay conscious. I'm into some kinky play but definitely not like that.

With everything I have left in me I kick her off of me and when she's down on the floor I pin her down and straddle her thighs.

"I'm here to talk this through! Stop acting like a lunatic and hear me out!" I hiss at her and lean in a bit closer to her. I notice her eyes darting down to my lips for a split second and I wrongfully take it as a good sign.

As I'm about to lean in and kiss her to show her I'm harmless she manages to push her hips up which makes me slide more towards her stomach and give her legs more freedom. She kicks me in the back which has me winded again and falling to the floor to try and gasp for some air.

She jumps up and tries to escape but the only way out is through me. When she attempts to run out I manage to catch her leg which results in the girl ending up on the floor again and trying her hardest to catch her own breath.

I get up on my knees and pull her closer by the leg. I hover above her after I make sure her legs are pinned down with mine and I'm holding both of her wrists

"Avery look at me!" I practically growl squeezing her wrists tighter. "Please?" I whisper quietly but she hears it and glares at me.

"What?" She grumbles whilst trying to free herself from my grip which she fails at miserably.

"I'm here to apologise. I didn't know the gun wasn't loaded. And I sure as hell didn't know you'd take a bullet like that for me!" I add and frown when she relaxes a bit.

"I might have tempered with the gun." She states and looks up at me with blank eyes.

I snort and roll my eyes at her "sure. You tempered with me as a diversion to run away from me." I say giggling "you don't have to take the blame for it you know?" I add looking down at her.

We stare at each other for a couple of minutes and when I realise she wasn't lying I hum and nod slowly.

"Right. And you had me thinking you nearly died because of me. Made me blame myself for something that I didn't do and made me feel like shit for days." I whisper more to myself and drop her hands. I get up slowly and wipe my mouth again before making my way out without another word.

"Mila? Mila! We can talk about this! I'll explain everything!" I hear Avery shouting after me followed by some shuffling as she's trying to get up on her feet again to go after me.

Before she finds me I hide in one of the darker corners of the building and watch her run past me.

There's an awful feeling in my chest which I can't explain just yet but it won't go away even if I'm trying to shut my feelings down.

It feels like it's hard to breathe and my heart is shrinking or something.  I try to shake it off for now and sneak out the fire exit as I do before I find my rental and speed off. I need to avoid her for a little while. Or for good.