Chapter 18

Mila's POV

As we're making our way out of the chapel I keep looking over my shoulder at the person sitting at the front row. I could have sworn I've seen them before.

"Everything alright?" Avery asks me quietly and squeezes my hand once to bring me back to the present.

"Yeah I just... I felt like I've seen that person before." I mumble before shaking my head in attempt to shake it off and lead the way back towards the car.

"You're bound to run into someone you've met before. You've been around the whole Europe three times at this point." She points out and rubs my arm reassuringly.

I nod once with a little smile but grimace when the blonde pulls a face as if to tell me she wasn't falling for no fake smiles of mine.

Once we get to the car I open the door for her and before I get to move away she pulls me closer and gives me a quick peck on the lips as a thank you.

On my way around the car I feel my work phone buzz and groan quietly as I'm pulling it out to check it. Once I'm inside I put my seatbelt on but open the message to see what the text read.

"Looks like I've got a job in two days. Wanna try and crack the code to see where it is? You'll be getting these cryptic messages soon so better get used to decoding them." I say handing the phone to Avery and turn a bit to face her.

"Hmmm. I know it's back in UK. Can't tell where specifically hang on." She says with a frown and stares at the screen for another couple of minutes.

"Do you want a hint or...?" I start and grunt when she shushes me by raising her index finger up. Usually I would break their hand and threaten to pull their teeth out but for some reason I didn't mind too much if Avery did it.

"My guess it's in Manchester?" She says sounding unsure and looks up at me when handing the phone back.

"London. Manchester is just a code name for the person I'll be going after and it usually means that the person is from there." I explain and turn the screen to her again and quickly explain what keywords meant what.

"Oh man. So it seems like it's sort of a big deal isn't it?" She asks wide eyed and slumps in her seat a bit.

"It is. And it won't be an easy one because she's a high profile type of woman which means more security. I've got just under two days to come up with my plan of action." I say rolling my eyes and start the car.

"Which means we get to enjoy tonight and then you'll be leaving me mid day. How long do you think you'll be gone for?" She asks quietly and stares out the window bracing herself for something ridiculous.

"You could always come with me. You have to start somewhere like I said before." I suggest and glance over at her for a split second.

"I wouldn't want to impose though! And what if I mess something up as always and become a liability like the last couple of times?" She hisses and crosses her arms with a worried look.

"If you follow my rules and stay in the background nothing horrible will happen. Besides it'll give you an insight of how it works! And if you totally hate it you can take a step back and be useful in other ways rather than reckless killing. It takes a toll on you." I say staring at the cars in front of me.

"Have you ever thought about quitting?" she asks quietly and bites her lip in somewhat of an anxious manner.

"Every damn time. At first it was fun seeing all these horrible nasty people get what was coming for them but then it sort of drained me mentally and now I don't feel anything these days. High profile cases drain me and put me in danger all the time which I don't mind. Sometimes I used to hope that one of those big jobs would end me once and for all because I can't just take a step back because I'm too far gone. I know too much about them. They have a lot of shit against me as well to let me go. Im too good to get promoted so they treat me as a weapon while they can." I manage to get it all out without getting too frustrated.