Chapter 29

Carter's POV

Well I sure did take my time with grooming myself; I finished tying my refreshed curls into a lost messy bun and I threw on an oversized grey hoodie and a pair of white above the ankle socks.

Oh wait- can't forget about perfume.

I sprayed three times; one at the top of my bun and one on each side of my collar bones.

I felt squeaky clean as ever, way better than I did earlier today.

My phone vibrates while I was cleaning up the bathroom of my clothes-

Damn, I need my glasses...

Mom: no curfew, I know you're in good hands. Have fun!! Love you!!

Me: thanks mom, means a lot knowing that you trust me.

Mom: it's not that me and your father don't trust you, we're hesitant to trust those around you. Ms.  Arturo is very well trustworthy, she's shown plenty of reasons for that.

Me: my shoe lace got stuck in the car door but I overheard them going back and forth about something.. are you sure dad is okay?

Mom: don't worry about him, I will GLADLY get to the bottom of whatever it was. He was probably making sure there were no boys around. Tonight, just focus on having fun- safely please. See you later tomorrow sweetie!

"Hey Carter, is everything alright?" Eleanora's voice called and I quickly texted my mom a thumbs up and started shoving my old clothes into my backpack and adjusted my glasses as I opened the door.

"Oh- I was worried something...." Eleanora's voice died down midway of her thought- or sentence because as I looked into her eyes, I saw countless things I couldn't get a read on.

"I didn't want to leave a mess, sorry it took so long," I quickly stared at the tiles of the bathroom floor.

"N-no, that's sweet of you really- I- ahem, I didn't have everything I needed to cook you something so I wanted to tell you that I ordered pizza..." her voice died down again as I made eye contact with her again.

This time it was like she's never seen me before until now.. I didn't think I'd look that much different with glasses..

"Um- Carter?" Her words only added more to the unfamiliar tension.

"I don't have any food allergies," I cautiously responded.

"What? Erm-ahem, no. Well- thank you for that as well but... is that you?" She held herself restrictively as she leaned against the doorway blinking away whatever it is that's currently on her mind.

"I could've sworn I didn't look that different with glasses," I mumbled and I felt my cheeks getting hot.

"God- I can't speak," she cursed herself and immediately pulled me into a hug.

I felt safe and warm in her grasp and as she pulled away, her eyes dilated as her neck retracted when she sealed heavily.

"Carter, that is you," her voice lowly trembled into a mere growl.

"I don't know what's going on," I felt apologetic, I'm normally good at paying attention but I still can't figure out-

"You're perfume is intoxicatingly sensual.. I was just thrown off by the scent and- sorry, you just smell really good right now and it's really clouding my judgement considering you're dressed in your comfort clothes- ahem," she cleared her throat as I now catch on.. somewhat.

"I trust your judgement a lot actually. Thank you, my mom got me a few perfumes by  Chanel and Dior on my birthday. I like Dior better," I softly giggled but the tension only became stronger as Eleanora's gaze became more intense.

"Um- may I?" I see her trying her best to restrain herself, it's just perfume. I don't really see-

"Oh-

I was thrown off guard as her hands gently remove my glasses and she cups my chin as she takes my bun a loose and my curls drape down as the volume takes it's place.

"Hey, I worked hard on that!" I laughed as I shook my hair a loose and popped my head back up to meet her gaze breathless..

"Somehow, I can see the woman you're bound to be..." her eyes were searching miles in my direction.

"Hopefully she's worthwhile.. I just turned eighteen Eleanora, I'm not sure what you would want with me now to be honest," I looked to the side too scared to look her in the eye after confronting her with a fair point.

She pulls me into another hugs and kissed the top of my head, "why wait when I can have you now- there's something I want to show you," she hands me my hair tie and I follow her diligently leaving my belongings in her guest bedroom-

"Have you always had a piano?" I realized what room I had walked into.

"I've had it since I was little growing up in Italy. My grandparents and parents used it to tune their instruments until they didn't need it anymore.. considering they were all professional musicians," she softly chuckled and I could see in her eyes as she got lost in the aged wood and craftsmanship of the upright piano. The ivory keys were tinted over the years, I tried to envision a little girl and a happy family around the family when the piano was new... it made me smile and feel warm inside.

"Thank you for showing me this," I found myself hugging her and she welcomes me again in open arms.

"That's not what I wanted to show you, grab a seat," she gestured to a wooden stool near the nightstand and I obediently made myself comfortable next to the piano she acquainted herself with...

"I didn't know you could play piano. I only assumed violin was the only instrument you could as good as you do," I watched her adjust her fingers onto the ivories...

"I only know one piece..."