Chapter 14: Turtlenecks and Sunglasses

{Charlie's POV}

I was all packed up and ready to check about by 9AM. The hickey on my neck was properly covered with a thick dark blue turtleneck sweater that I borrowed from Knox. I glanced at Room 111 while I was waiting for the elevator to take me to the lobby, and I couldn't help but wonder what the actual fuck happened last night that made me want to sleep with such a person. That is it I am never drinking again.

I explained to the receptionist that I had lost my key in a series of unfortunate events, and she was not at all understanding. I had to pay the bitch money for the lost key, since I was too hungover to flirt my way out of it. I checked in with Mr.Keating as well, before leaning against a pillar and waiting for those who didn't arrive. Spoiler alert! Valerie was late. AGAIN.

"Sorry we're late, Captain." Valerie said across the lobby the moment the elevator doors slid open. "Lily and Rebecca are checking out."

Valerie looked horrible. Not in an appearance way but in a tired-didn't sleep-hangover way. She was wearing big round black sunglasses that covered her eyebrows, a black Welton crewneck, a pair of black flared sweatpants that dangled over her platform shoes, nearly making contact with the dirty floor. Her hair was a hot mess.

Knox and Meeks were whispering amongst themselves and sharing quick glances at me or Valerie. I tried my best to ignore that. Should I ignore Val? Do I mention anything from last night or is that topic suddenly forbidden?

We all got on the bus. and if there is one thing that is for sure going to make you wish you were dead while experiencing a hangover, it's a 5 hour bus ride with 30 chattering students. I took a window seat next to Knox on the right side. Valerie sat in the same row as me, in the window seat next to Rebecca, on the left side.

I buried my face in my turtleneck sweater and hoped for some shut eye. The bumpy and overly loud bus would never permit that of course. I think we were an hour in, when Meeks tapped on my shoulder from behind. Next to him was Pittsie, who was fast asleep and literally drooling all over the cushion.

"Tell us what happened last night." Meeks said, his voice all excited and high

"Why don't you tell me what happened last night?" I asked and looked round at Knox and Meeks.

Knox took about 20 minutes to finish telling what happened last night, about the bar and fighting this guy called Jeff, and running away with Chase. Of course there were moments where it was just Chase and I alone so who would possibly know what happened then if not us. Then Meeks told me how Chase threw up, and he left because of the disgusting sight of it. That part was understandable.

"Oh My God! Why didn't you come back?" I asked Meeks, "This could've been stopped."

"I had left my key in the room, and when Knox and Valerie's friends made it back, we all knocked on the door but nobody answered." Meeks replied.

"We assumed you guys had blacked out." Knox added.

"Yeah, well this is just perfect." I said sarcastically.

Reactively, Knox, Meeks and I looked over Chase's direction. Weirdly enough, her and her group of friends were staring right back at us. I couldn't even see Val's eyes because of the ridiculously oversized eyewear. We quickly looked away, hoping to God we weren't obvious.

The ride back home felt way longer than the ride to New York. Once we finally made it back to Welton, students began to rise out of their seats before the bus even stopped. I wanted to get out and get on my bed as fast as I could. When we got out of the tight spaced vehicle, I took a deep breath, appreciating the little things in life. The sun was still blaring on this cold December morning, which did not do my everlasting hangover any justice. I waited until the students unscrambled from the loading area to get my stuff. I grabbed the suitcase with a 'Nuwanda' tag on it.