Chapter 20: Seconds Taste Better

I had no idea what time it was, and I didn't care. I was finally talking to Charlie Dalton. I've always talked to him, obviously. But this time we both listened. And a bottle of Ginger Ale was definitely smarter than wine. Because experiencing this sober meant that I would always remember it, and that made me happy. I don't know if it's the close proximity, the candles, the moonlight, or the tepid warm ginger ale but my heart felt different. Not like usual, there was something different.

Charlie and I were reading our favorite poems, from an English book found in the corner of the cave. While he read me the Sonnet 116 of William Shakespeare, I read him one of my favorites, Ode to a Nightingale by John Keats. We exchanged looks and stories as the electricity of our passion filled with a thick tension of desire.

Charlie reached into his pocket and said, slightly blushing, "I wrote one for you,"

I smiled whole heartedly, as I nodded for him to continue. He got out a folded paper, and opened it, smoothing out the wrinkles and creases.

"It's called Sunrays Shine " He cleared his throat,

" a light struck through so lovely and tender

for all light is, a light is but an Aether*

I feared what was and could not touch

forth to discover that I misjudge

Light has developed into a sun

as sunrays shine into my lonesome one

I plead for thee to call you mine

as I am yours and together we shine."

I was honestly speechless. I had no idea what to say to this. The poem, the words, his voice as he read it, the atmosphere, everything resulted in my speechlessness. Charlie looked at me with a different hint in his eyes, a loving one, and blushed as he smiled his beautiful smile while looking down at the paper in his hands.

"I love it" I managed to say.

I moved closer to him and touched my right hand on his cheeks. With my right hand I slowly held on to his chin, softly raising it to become parallel with mine. I closed my eyes and leaned in for a kiss.

The touch of his soft lips against mine felt heavenly. He travelled one of his hands to graze my cheek and slowly roam around my hair. I cupped my hands around his face as well as we went deep into our feelings of bliss.

I broke off from the kiss to look at his eyes, his kind eyes. This was the first time I've really noticed his eyes. He looked back into my eyes and we smiled, laughing softly at the irony of our journey.

And then I couldn't help but to kiss him again. I realize I've kissed him before but this kiss was so much better because I was sober and actually aware of how good it felt. I loved the way Charlie kissed me, so tender yet so rough. We stood on our knees, longingly hungry for each other. My fingers ran through his soft hair while his fingers were roaming around my waist and back. I then went ahead and unbuttoned his black shirt, revealing his bare chest. Dalton broke off the kiss and gazed into my eyes. His eyes slowly travelled to where his hands were busy unbuttoning my blouse. He gently took it off and laid it somewhere in the small cave. I was left in my black bra and skirt. With the back of his hands he caressed an outline of my body, from the nape of my neck down to where my breasts lay temporarily covered.

Charlie travelled one his hands on both the bra straps that were supporting me. He slipped them off with a finger and gently wrapped his hands around me to unhook from behind. That small click sound of unhooking, brought me to draw a gasp. His eyes struck mine and as the bra fell to the ground he perused over my breasts.