Chapter 27: Forgive or Forget?

{Charlie's POV}

"Come at me, man. I've done boxing since I was four. Yeah, that's right. I was trained by Terry Malloy himself."

Who was that? I peeked behind my tree and saw the only person on my mind right now. Valerie Chase. What the hell was she doing here? What the hell was she even doing? Did she follow me here? I only saw her from behind but she looked like she was being threatened by someone. Then I readjusted my viewpoint and saw a big built man in front of her. I watched her step back and I knew she was in danger. I got up and ran for her and she didn't even see or hear me coming before I had taken her wrist and ran for it.

I was half expecting me to fight the man but even I knew that the size of that man against me would have ended ugly.

I hailed down a cab for us and I wouldn't dare make eye contact with V. Because deep down I knew that as soon as I did, for long enough, I would forget all that happened between us and take her right here in the back of a cab. However, when she groaned in pain and held helplessly on her broken wrist I couldn't ignore her. I told the driver to take us to the nearest hospital.

I noticed tears rolling down her cheeks and I thought it best not to mention it but I did anyway, "Are you crying?"

"What the fuck do you think I'm doing?" she snapped at me.

The driver let out a muffled laugh. I ignored her remark and maintained myself.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"What do you think?" She held her broken wrist in my face, "Gee, Dalton can you have any more stupider questions."

I admit I would have reacted the same way if someone had asked me if I was okay while I was clearly hurt. Anything I say will help the situation no further so I decided to remain quite the rest of the ride to the hospital. But I couldn't hold it in.

"You're the stupid one! Can't even ride a bike at your fucking age. Taken down by a child! Please don't even dare talk back." I mocked her as she was crying.

All she did was scoff at me. I thought that was good to keep her mouth shut but Valerie took it as an invitation to banter.

That taxi ride let out all our built up emotions. Not the sappy ones, the angry ones. I had no idea how angry I was at her. And Val made it abundantly clear that she was angry at me. I knew damn well the driver was eavesdropping but I didn't care one bit. She said things would have never ended like this if I had just listened to her. And I said it didn't matter because the truth was she played me. Blah blah blah. We already went over this yesterday. I don't know why we're fighting again. Valerie had stopped crying and was now looking red with anger. But somehow, the fighting feeling calmed me down. I just wish it was like before. I wish things hadn't changed.

"I hate you!" I screamed at her.

"I hate you too!" She yelled.

"You've arrived." The driver said.

Valerie was the first one to get out, with great struggle I might add. I thought about leaving her there and going back to school but I ended up staying. I paid for the ride and made my way inside.

I saw her sitting in the waiting lounge and I was confused why she was not getting attended to.

"Did you tell them your wrist is broken?" I asked.

"No, I just like to sit here and admire old people's open back gowns." She said with a serious face.

"Get up." I said annoyed.

I held her up half gently by her elbow and guided her to the receptionist or whatever you call those hospital people doing the phone calls.

"Excuse me but she needs attending to right this second." I said to the lady.