14) Wish Fish

Evelynn walked back to her room giddy with happiness, ignoring all her worries and problems with only one thing on her mind. Tedros.

She was absolutely brainwashed by him.

When she reached the room she opened the door with a flourish, the smile on her face unfading.

Agatha glanced up from reading on her bed. "It went well then?"

Evelynn blushed. "Yes. I really needed to talk to him. Properly."

Agatha nodded, smiling softly. "I'm glad, I'm just hoping Sophie won't freak out."

Evelynn sat on the windowsill and crossed her legs, looking out over the school, and to the other half of it, the school for evil.

"I don't understand this place." She said, wistfully.

"What do you mean?"

"There's no logic to it at all, it doesn't make any sense, everything's weird, everything's new, and everything is the opposite of what you originally think it is. The only thing that stays the same is the division between good and evil. In that trial I was naive enough to let myself believe that the two sides would unite when Sophie and Tedros won. But they were never going to work...and I don't know if that's Sophie, or all evil. Because if it is all evil, Tedros and I will never work either."

Agatha closed her book with a sigh. "If you've come back this happy surely he wants to be with you, right?"

Evelynn looked down at her hands, her buzz from her kiss with Tedros plummeting into disappointment. "I didn't tell him. He couldn't have coped with it. Not after what happened with him and Sophie...he said he needed someone who was completely good, that wouldn't hurt him. What I did by lying just shows that side of my evil I've tried to hide for so long."

Agatha looked worried. "You know what I think? I think you can choose how good you are, how evil you are, you're in control."

Evelynn thought about it, hugging her knees to her chest. "So why does the evil keep coming back? Why can't I escape it? It's there every time I get angry, every time I'm upset, every time I lose control of my evil power. I try to tell myself I'm a good person, but the School Master's right, every good thing I do...is balanced by something bad I do straight after."

Agatha was lost for words, having no further argument to comfort her friend.

Evelynn shook her head. "I'm sorry Agatha."

"For what?"

"For everything I've done."

"Evelynn, if you were evil...you wouldn't apologise."

Evelynn turned to her roommate, a curious frown on her face. "Do you think I can be more than only 50% good?"

"Yes, definitely, you already are."

Evelynn's gaze returned to the window. "I have an idea."

———————————————

"What on earth are you doing?!" Beatrix shrieked, gaping at Evelynn at a sink in the ever girls' beautification room.

Evelynn had a brush in one hand, and a pot of hair dye in the other. "I don't see how it's any of your business."

Agatha returned from getting an extra towel.

Beatrix's eyes widened. "And with her?! What are you doing?"

Agatha glared. "Lynn is dyeing her hair."

"Agatha." Evelynn grumbled, annoyed she'd let Beatrix know the business that wasn't her's.