17) Tragic Beauty

Evelynn was angry again.

But she had to keep attending lessons, she had to keep fighting the fate the school master declared for her. Because that was not what she wanted.

She would get her own happy ending, for her own fairytale despite what it took, despite losing her Prince.

She had pulled herself together by the next day, got dressed, braided her violet hair and hid her sleepless, tear-strewn face with makeup.

However Agatha still noticed her ghost-like expression of utter defeat.

"Lynn!" She yelped when she saw her in the morning.

Evelynn rolled her eyes.

"Sorry- I- are you okay?"

"I'm fine. You seem good though, it was nice to see you smile yesterday."

Agatha smiled again, which further surprised her roommate. "Are you sure you're okay? You look like someone killed your dog or something."

Evelynn's eyes narrowed, thinking of Tedros. "I hate dogs."

"Now you look like you're going to kill a dog. Seriously, tell me what's wrong. Do you want me to go and get Tedros?"

Evelynn started leaving the room. "No."

Agatha followed. "He didn't- he wouldn't...did he?"

Evelynn stared straight ahead as she walked, her hands writhing at her sides. "Did what?"

Agatha glanced away sheepishly. "I don't know. You just, you were so angry, and then you weren't with him, you were you. But now you're angry again. You get overcome by your own anger Evelynn. You're like a completely different person. I barely recognise you like this."

"Thanks for the brutal honesty Agatha." Evelynn slurred.

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah. And I'm not the only one that's changed. What happened to you Agatha? What happened to spitting on the floor and hating everyone that came near you? This school is twisting us, it's manipulating who we are. I don't even know who I am and I hate it. I hate myself. And I hate him."

Agatha stared, her face slowly falling, her eyes dawning with realisation. Her voice escaped a whisper. "Who do you hate Lynn?"

"I think you know."

——————————————

"The Circus of Talents." Professor Dovey declared in assembly, smiling down on her students. "A show in which both Evers and Nevers will compete to show off their talent, and win the victory!"

Evelynn stared deadpan at her professor, no longer caring about anything.

"The event is tonight! All must attend and I cannot wait to see your talents! Don't forget, everyone needs a partner for the snow ball too, in only a few days time I hope to greet you all looking beautiful."

Everyone knew she was addressing the Evers only.

Eventually the students filed out of the hall, Evelynn staring at her feet as she walked and trying to ignore everyone around her.

"Evelynn Semis!" A voice called out from behind in the crowd, Evelynn turned, trying to spot the culprit in the bustle of people.

She walked straight into someone.

Her gaze whipped round again to the figure. And her heart stopped as she saw...Tedros.

---------------------------