s2 e5

"can you teach me how to drive?" Allen blurted in excitement. "please please please?"

i eye him as i chuckle, "one step at a time sir but im not saying no nor am i saying yes."

he squealed in excitement as we dragged ourselves through the house. it was pretty quiet, too quiet.

"you two are getting along fairly well," my dad announced.

"well, he's my brother," i shrug.

"yes, that he is but Alex, do you have anything planned for today or now for that matter?"

"no dad, why?"

"mind dropping by the company to pick up paperwork for me?"

i question, "just paperwork?"

"i believe so," he nods. "but if its anything there you know ill need, bring it back?"

"of course."

i quickly turned on my heels and headed back out the door, quickly hopping into my car. our company was pretty close by home and by close, i mean a 20 minute drive. 15 if traffic isn't an issue and 20 if it is.

i hadn't really been to my parents company since mom died, i hadn't been many places since then. ive been trying, yes, but mainly my comfort was home. my bed.

most times i tried to get out and do this and do that but it was .... hard. i also tried to see and talk to my mom as many times as i could though school made that impossible at times.

i missed her so much, so deeply. her warm hugs. her soft kisses. her welcoming presence.

i missed the crazy moments. i missed her fearless moments. she lived and loved so fearless. i loved that the most about her.

my mom never had the ideal childhood. im not saying she had a traumatic one because that's not the case. my mom was the weird kid, which is probably why her and dad adopted Allen.

i don't mean it like that, i swear.

both mom and dad were weird in their own ways and it was adorable. i could see why they were so well for each other. i mean of course i seen it years back but you know, you notice a lot more once you get older.

i chuckle to myself as my eyes studied the building now in front of me, "shit, the memories ive made here."

"you've got this," i whispered to myself before pulling the keys from the engine.

i took one more breath before hopping out. i dragged myself down the parking lot. the sound of my heels clicking against the pavement was oh so satisfying.

i made my way through the double doors, immediately getting greeted by a few social workers. it made me feel warm inside.

"afternoon Miss. Lance, could i get anything?" a coffee? cup of tea?" Arron.

"no Arron but i appreciate your suggestions, thank you," i shoot him a smile as i continue walking.

"coming into work, Miss. Lance?" Kimberly. she was the first i met when the company got big-ill never forget her.

"no ma'am just here for some paperwork," i announce.

"ah, okay," she nods. "well if you need me, ill be here."

i nod, "thank you."

i made my way through the small walkway and over to my dads office. i pushed opens the office door and the rose smell hit my nose immediately. mom.

mom office always smelled like roses and so did dads, he had to have gotten it from her. thinking about that, i wonder what her office looks like. has dad even been in there?