𝐏𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐚

John B grabbed hold of my father, holding him over the edge of the ship. He glanced over at my sister and I, wanting to consider our feelings before doing anything.

Sarah gave a short nod to indicate that it was okay.

"Do it," I agreed.

John B's gaze moved between us and Ward for a few moments, unsure of what to do despite getting our approval. Eventually, he released Ward and took a few steps back.

I sighed. You'd think I'd be relieved that he chose to let my dad live, but I wasn't. When I believed that Ward was dead, I was the most relaxed I'd been in years. My stress and anxiety was largely due to him and I hadn't realized that until he was gone.

Sure, I still had a ton of problems, but I didn't have to worry about him intruding on them or making things worse, as he so often did.

As long as Ward was alive and free, my friends and I would suffer. I didn't necessarily want him dead, I simply wanted him out of my life.

"Hey, we gotta go, okay?" John B told us. "We gotta pick up the others,"

I shook my head. "I'm not getting off this boat. Not without everyone else,"

"What?! That's way too dangerous, A!" He opposed. "Get off while you can!"

"What if they're hurt or need help?!"

"We'll figure it out, just come on!"

"I'm making sure they get off this boat before I even think about leaving!"

"Aspyn, no!" Sarah yelled as I sprinted away.

Despite my sister's pleas, I didn't turn back. As I was running, I caught a glimpse of the shimmering cross being lifted by the crane.

"Cleo?! Pope?!" I called, making my way in that direction.

"Aspyn! I'm over here, girl!" Cleo replied.

I followed the sound of her voice, eventually seeing her gripping onto a rope that was attached to the cross. Running over to help her, I planted my feet on the ground and grabbed hold of it as well.

The sound of a gunshot rang out, making me jump. I snapped my head over to see that someone was firing at Pope.

"Holy shit!" I yelled.

Cleo's eyes widened. "Hey, get down! Get out of there!"

Pope began moving the cross, the weight of it causing Cleo and I's bodies to lurch forward slightly. I tensed as another gunshot filled the air.

"Pope, get down!" I begged.

I had already lost so much. I couldn't lose him too.

Cleo and I continued pleading for him to come down, but he didn't listen, he simply continued moving the cross.

"Drop the line!" He called down to us.

"Why?!" Cleo asked.

"We're pinched! Just do it!"

"Are you sure?!"

"Yes! Drop it!"

"Okay fine!"

She looked at me and nodded, the two of us releasing the rope at the same time.

The gears of the crane clicked as Pope moved the cross toward the edge of the ship.

My eyes widened when I saw my brother run over and grab onto the line we just dropped.

I watched the cross move to dangle over the edge of the ship, causing it all make sense. We couldn't get it, so Pope was gonna make sure nobody could.

Rafe's hands slipped through the rope as Pope dropped the cross. The heavy artifact plummeted toward the water, creating a huge splash as it hit.