18| the noise of complete silence

KEVIN:

Ly would never accept that but she indeed is my lucky charm. If it is a coincidence then it is a weird one. How could I only lose that one match where she wasn't present? I glanced at her. She was licking the ice cream in a daze. She looked lost recently like there was something bugging her all the time.

"What's wrong?" I nudged her with my elbow. Ly remained silent for a moment but then spoke up.

"I'm seeking an answer to a question,"

"Tell me,"

"You can not have the answers to all of my questions Kev," She stated as a matter of factly. That was true. I could not have the answers to her questions but who knows maybe I do.

"I am the answer to all of your questions," She shook her head, leaving my hand and moving forward. The day where these pickup lines would affect Ly, I guess it won't come anytime soon or it won't come at all. "Don't leave me behind," I ran behind catching up with her but she started to run futher. Ly and her antics...

♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷

It was our last day of school before the winter break. The winter break was nothing like a break. The players of school teams had personal practice to do as well as studies for the final, like normal students. Daris was upset because he said and I quote, 'I am going to miss Maya'. I had to stop my laughter in front of him. When he was with Maya, I saw a side of him I never did.

It was just like me and Ly. Whenever I am with Ly I am the real me. No barriers, no facades, no words that I have to hold back from saying. I don't think that anyone else would see this version of me. We had decided to take a tour of the town. It was her idea and we all agreed. If we were going to study the whole winter break, we could at least steal some time for ourselves just like now.

There was a food festival running in our town near the seaside. Almost the whole year, activities took place there but since the seaside was an hour and half drive from our town we visited less than others.

A lot of students were going there today from our school. And as Ly suggested, we three quickly agreed over it. I didn't know what else we had in common but we four definitely were foodies.

I was driving while Ly sat on the passenger seat. A rule the person sitting on the passenger seat should follow was that they shouldn't be focused on the people sitting on the back seat but here Ly was completely turned around. Maya had brought her polaroid camera and she was excitedly showing it to Ly and Daris.

I was only hearing their conversation which I couldn't interpret much since it mainly consisted of sentences said in excited squeals. Maya had spent quite a fortune on buying the films. She had brought around fifty films just for today. We were not going to capture these many pics.

I wanted to ask Daris how he was doing at the back but one glance in the rear mirror told me that he was just fine, enjoying Maya's child-like excitement. As we reached, these three exited the car so fast like I had trapped them inside. Even in excitement, they closed the door gently as I had threatened to leave the person behind who misbehaved with my car.

As we stood at the entrance we decided which one to visit first. There were around a hundred or more stalls lined up. There were food stalls of almost every kind of food. Other than that, there was some music show in the festival and some other entertainment things but none of that appealed to us other than food.

The stalls were on the right side and on our left the waves clashed against the boundary wall. The weather was already chilly but near the seaside it was more windy. Ly was leading all of us to a nearby stall of Asian foods. Ly and her love for Asian food. According to her, the aroma and the taste in Asian foods were not like other foods and no doubt, it was true.

Food is what true love looks like.

♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷

We were full. We had tried so many new foods while we strolled through the stalls. It was already evening and we had decided to return back home after watching the sunset.

'We had come to the sea so how could we leave without watching the winter sunset?' That's what Maya had said as we all marched behind her towards the seaside. Maya and Ly stood at the part where the waves hit their feet but they were soon returning to the back as the water was too cold.

We were still in our uniforms sitting on the seasand not caring about it getting dirty for once. Life doesn't give you chances to be happy and carefree twice. After a little chit chat with Daris about the basketball I saw him adoring Maya.

"Do you like her so much?" I couldn't keep my curiosity at bay today. Daris is always smiling around Maya and that isn't all. He is confident when he speaks to her like he is sure that his feelings for her are true. He looked at her like she was his whole world.

"If it's obvious to everyone now, I guess I do like her so much," He replied in a playful tone.

"How did you even figure out you like her?" My question seemed to shock Daris as he furrowed his eyebrows together.

"You haven't liked anyone ever Kevin?" Curiosity and shock laced Daris's tone.

"If my crush on Emma Watson doesn't count then nope," Daris sighed and shook his head like he couldn't believe what I had just told him.

"I first saw her when she and Blake came to talk to you, at practice" He said, leaning backwards on the support of his palms. "She looked cute but that was it. Then I noticed that she shared classes with me too. Afterwards, it became a habit for me to find her in the classes. I wanted to talk to her, know her better. Later, whenever I saw her, I found myself smiling. It was exhilarating and concerning. Why was my heart beating so fast when I hadn't even ever talked to her? I saw her laughing with you and I was jealous." Daris bit his lip and nervously laughed. "I also wanted to spend time with her. I also wanted to make her laugh. I kept thinking about her so I asked you about her. I realised that I like her when she missed school and I was concerned. Holding back was difficult Kevin. If a person you like and something happens to them and you don't know where they are or what has happened to them and you are not there for them, it literally hurts you. That was the point where I realised what I felt for her,"

I was at a loss for words. Daris was looking in the direction where Maya and Ly were. They were playing with the waves now. Everytime the waves came near them they came running back. Ly was happy and carefree. She didn't look lost like she did in the past few days. I wanted her to always stay like this. Away from sadness and worries.

"Do you know Kevin?" I glanced at Daris as he called me out. "I have noticed you for a long time now... Whenever you look at Blake you always smile... and that's not it. You look at her like she's your whole world,"

Has anyone heard the noise of silence? Complete silence. When nothing is reaching your ears. Like everything has stopped. The outside noise and even your own heartbeat...

I never heard it but I think I just did!