17| kev happiness ∝ ly happiness

BLAKELY

It was the basketball match day. The match that will decide if our school team is going to the final or not. Even though the players of our team tried to hide it I knew they all were nervous inside. But the other students were more nervous than them, especially Maya Summers. The way she kept biting her lip even when the match hadn't started told me that this girl was going crazy.

I, on the other hand, was calm. Not 100 percent but I was still calm. I believed in team efforts and seeing how hard our team had practised I was sure they would win. I was a firm believer that hard work never goes in vain. That wasn't all. Our school's team was playing against the Genius Academy's team. Their school name initiated a cringe attack in me and the face of their captain wanted me to punch him. So I had been sending all my negative energy towards their team.

Me and Maya still hadn't made our way to the bleachers. We were standing outside of the court for reasons named Kev and Daris. I was busy finding the seats that were empty when I heard my name being called. Turning around, I saw Owen standing a bit far from us and waving at me.

"Hey," He greeted as he walked towards us. I smiled in response, mumbling a hello back. I was still a shy mess around him. "You love basketball?" Well, I'm best friends with the captain so...

"Technically I am given the promise of friendship to be here," My reply made him laugh. I introduced Maya to Owen and there was a small conversation going on between us three when our team walked into the basketball court.

The other players left but Kev and Daris stayed there. Before any of us could speak Owen excitedly greeted Kev and I laughed. Too much of a fan moment for me.

"Hey Owen," Kev replied with the same enthusiasm and for a second I feared that Owen would fish out a pen and paper and ask for Kevin's autograph. "Ly told me about you,"

"Blakely? What did she tell you?" Seeing Owen like this was making me wonder if I also sounded like that when I first met him.

"That you like seeing me play basketball. Ouch!" This friend of mine and his mouth. How could he speak like this even in front of Owen? Owen would think there is something wrong with Kev that's why I pinched him. "Psycho,"

Kev mouthed that to me and I replied back with 'stupid'. All this while Maya was passing her over excitedness to Daris and encouraging him. I like them alot. They are cute.

♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷♡̷̷̷

I was sandwiched between two enthusiastic basketball lovers, Maya and Owen. They should have sat together because just like previous times I sat there with my eyes fixed on the screen monitor. Hoots and cheers were everywhere as the current score on the screen blinked. The match score was equal and there were a few minutes left for the game to finish.

A couple of times Owen's hand brushed mine and my heart rate accelerated. He didn't notice that though, he was so into the game, something that saddened me. It happened again as he stood up for a cheer and the loud squeal from Maya had me focus back on the game. We had won. Our team had made its way to the finals. The weird named school team had lost. That arrogant captain. I was happy for the whole team, my school but I was more happier for Kev.

Maya was pulling me down along with her into the court. The team was still cheering, hugging and patting each other. The whole court was filled with cheers. Sometimes things happen in slow motion and sometimes they happen so quick but you don't register what was happening until it happened. Just like now.

"Ly, we won. We reached the finals," Kevin spoke breathlessly in my ear. He had engulfed me in a hug and I hadn't registered it until he had me in his arms. I was hugging him back with the same strength even though I was lifted in the air an inch.