| Chapter Four | Something New

I made it home and found the bamboo stalks were set up again. I had Master to thank for this. He always encouraged my training and did everything he could to help.

I went through the house to see if he was home, but I only found silence. That was alright, I would just train, practice my footwork.

I made my way outside and centered myself in the bamboo circle. I would practice slicing each one in a star pattern. I drew my sword and looked at it. Beautiful ice. I thought of Rengoku with his red flame blade. Were flame and ice compatible? Could we even be friends?

I shook my head. I had to stop thinking of Rengoku. He was clouding my focus. I took a deep breath and thought of my ice and the way I enjoyed the cold air. How perfect ice was for me.

I charged forward and sliced one stalk, turned around and took six steps and sliced the one behind me, and then turned and kept up the star pattern until I sliced them all.

It wasn't fast enough, so I had to do it again. And I did, but I still wasn't satisfied. What could motivate me? If I could speed up and be faster than Rengoku, maybe I could impress him. I charged forward again and sliced the bamboo stalks, and once I sliced the last one; I stopped. It was faster than the last times I tried.

Progress. Was it because I wanted to impress Rengoku, so I pushed myself harder? It couldn't be. I wouldn't let myself think that way. No. It was because I worked hard and practiced every day.

My crow flew down and told me I would need to stop and rest for a few days before it would give me another order. Not what I wanted. I didn't want to stay home and dwell on the fact that I had been slow with training and not improving. I would only improve by fighting demons and not bamboo stalks.

~~~~~

Three days later my crow gave me a mission. I was to go to a forest where a demon was killing unsuspecting travellers. I went and took the demon out easily. It was quick, but I was quicker. It was good practice for me.

Over the next month, I went on solo missions, and it was great training. I enjoyed a good battle where I could use my speed. I felt that the month of missions had improved my speed immensely.

I wanted to become the fastest demon slayer in the corps. Becoming the Hashira known for her speed was my goal. And then when I became a Hashira, I'd have the respect of the other demon slayers.

After my last mission, I went into the training yard and prepared myself to slice some bamboo and see how fast I'd gotten. I got into position and pulled out my sword. After taking a deep breath, I planted my feet. The sound of flapping wings interrupted me.

My crow flew down and landed on my shoulder. I reached up and stroked her feathers. They were very soft. I tickled her behind her neck and she leaned forward, encouraging it.

"You have a new mission! You must go to headquarters and rendezvous with another demon slayer for your next mission!"

Perfect timing for another mission. And this time, it would be with another demon slayer. I was alright with that. I sheathed my sword and walked out of the yard, toward my next destination; headquarters.

Upon arrival, I wondered who the slayer was that was meeting me. I didn't know his name, I just know that my crow said I'd meet with him. Only telling me he was male.

I stood by a tree and waited. I hoped he wouldn't take too long to arrive. I watched people come and go, and one person caught my eye.

Rengoku was walking by and I smiled at him. His gaze found mine, and he smiled and waved.