Chapter 16: Worship (part 2)

A wave of excitement sent a flurry of butterflies loose in Mary's abdomen as John dragged his lips down her neck, chasing goosebumps across her skin. She wasn't entirely sure what he planned, but she certainly was in no mind to stop him. Once she had allowed herself this time with him, nothing would keep her from enjoying everything she could.

She loved the heat of John's bare skin against her own, and while she probably should have felt self-conscious about lying naked on the bed, she felt so comfortable around him—so at ease—that it only felt natural. As natural as loving this man had become, once she allowed herself to admit to it. Her grip on his hair tightened for a moment as if never wanting to let him go.

All thoughts fled and heat pooled between her legs as John reached her chest, took a nipple in his hot mouth and sucked. Alternating between licking, sucking, and nipping, he stoked the fire further, and she shifted beneath him, wanting more. His hands wandered down her side, along her ribs and waist, settling on her hips, before he kissed a trail down her stomach. When his chin brushed against her nether curls, her fingers curled in his hair. Could she really allow him to do something so deliciously wicked?

She suspected her cheeks were as red as they felt when he placed a soft kiss just above her curls before looking up. A smile curled the corners of his mouth.

"Mary?" he queried softly.

Her newfound boldness had abandoned her. "I..." Apparently, so too had her words. Her cheeks felt as if they were the colour of beets.

"I have never done this," John admitted honestly, while his fingers drew invisible patterns on her hip, sending tingles all the way to her core. "But I always wanted to try. I had hoped you would indulge me."

How could she resist that earnest look? And it wasn't as if her body wasn't screaming for him to touch her. She nodded jerkily, then inhaled sharply as John's lips descended on her. Desire raged inside her as he explored her using his lips and tongue, testing what made her squirm, what made her moan, and what made her gasp his name aloud. Her hands grasped the bedsheets as he pushed her higher and higher, her excitement building until it was almost unbearable.

John's hands on her hips angled her towards him, allowing him a better angle as he worshipped her, pushing her desire further with every stroke of his tongue. Her hands were back in his hair, even if she wasn't sure if she wanted to push him away or pull him closer. Her body burned and her world was aflame. With a loud sound that may have been a moan or may have been his name, her world exploded as a wave of pleasure crashed over her.

Coming back to her mouth, John kissed her deeply as he covered her body with his. With hurried movements, he unbuttoned his trousers and settled himself between her legs. She buried her face against his shoulder as he entered her, loving the feeling of him inside her, above her.

Right now. At this moment. He was hers and only hers. No one else mattered.

They moved in unison, their hands and lips searching, exploring, memorising every inch, every gasp, every movement. As she gazed into John's grey eyes, the heat and longing in them mesmerised her. He made love to her the way she had always dreamed a man who loved her would. Thoughtfully and intent on her pleasure in any way he could bring it. It didn't take long for the fire inside her to burn hotly once again, fuelled by his every stroke. When she came undone this time, she definitely called his name, and he followed not long after before collapsing next to her.

Pulling her into his arms, he nuzzled her neck and shoulder. "I love you," he mumbled against her skin. "I wish I could make you understand how much."

She wished she knew. Maybe she was being unreasonable, but the idea of allowing herself to hope only to be disappointed... She just couldn't do it. Better to walk into this with open eyes. This way, her heart shouldn't shatter—at least not completely—when he chose Olivia in the end.