Epilogue

August 14, 1819
Kent, England

"I told you I'd marry you."

Mary grinned up at John. "You did. You are a man of your word."

"That I am." Bending down to give her a quick kiss, he smiled. She looked beautiful today—not that she didn't every day—in her white wedding gown, and white pearls threaded through the braids in her dark hair.

They were in his family's garden where their wedding breakfast was taking place. The late afternoon sun was giving everything a golden glow, which somehow suited his mood perfectly. After returning to London from the house party, it had only been a week before Mary's parents had returned home. They had been quite shocked at the developments—and not a little angry with Mary's Aunt Lucy—but by now had accepted that both their daughters had found love.

Surrounded by their family and friends, John was content. He had the woman he loved by his side and a bright future ahead. One he looked forward to sharing with his new wife. It was strange to think that just over two months ago, he had believed her to be the most vexing woman of his existence. While she was still that at times—vexing—he kind of loved that about her. She told him straight up what she thought and never held back.

Snaking an arm around her waist, he pulled her a little closer and pressed a kiss on her temple, breathing in the fresh smell of flowers that he now associated with her. A band played on the lawn and couples were dancing in the grass, while others mingled throughout the gardens. Mary's sister Jane and Hayes were among the couples dancing, their laughter ringing through the air.

After getting to know him better, John still didn't particularly like Hayes. They were very different people, but he respected the other man's commitment to his wife. Despite his proclivities, he appeared fully devoted to Jane. In view of them becoming family, John had elected not to tell his superiors of the letters he'd found, detailing Hayes's support for the demonstrations happening in the north. On the condition that the other man did not attend. While John could not fault the cause, he had a bad feeling about the resentment building on both sides.

"Quit frowning. It's your wedding day."

Turning to the voice, John nodded to Dash, who had just sidled up to them, a grin on his face.

"He always looks like that when glaring at Hayes," Mary offered happily.

"I don't glare at him," John muttered even as he silently thought that perhaps he did. He didn't mean to. With a sigh, he turned to their friend. "How are you enjoying the day, Dash? Please don't seduce any of the guests."

The other man raised his dark eyebrows in some sort of parody of a wounded look. "I would never."

"You definitely would." Mary smiled wryly. "No one here quite fits the bill for you, so I think we should be safe."

"I noticed," Dash said. "I am quite disappointed, to be honest. Couldn't you have invited a pretty widow or something?"

"I'm sorry that our social circle does not contain a suitable target for your seduction," Mary said, the sarcasm dripping from her words.

"You should be sorry." Dash grinned widely before affecting a tortured mien. "But I shall make do. It will be difficult, but I think I can rally the strength."

John rolled his eyes at the theatrics. "Did I hear you were planning a trip?"

Straightening, his face growing serious, Dash nodded. "Yes. I'm going to America in a few weeks. To do a little travelling. My prowling grounds are growing stale here, so I must seek new avenues." As his eyes strayed across the garden to where his brother the Duke of Winterbourne stood with his wife, Rain, Dash's voice didn't quite hold the levity of his usual banter. There was a noticeable roundness to his sister-in-law's belly, to where it could no longer be hidden by the high-waisted dresses. "A little time away will do me good."