03 | Brainwashing Yourself

•°

•°. *࿐

SO I NEED help. 

I've spent the past three years searching for any living relatives I may or may not have - and finally, I've come up with a small portion of information that could help me find them. 

Them wouldn't be the right word. I only found evidence of one. One who I don't know my relation to. Sister, mother, aunt? Whatever. It's better than nothing. 

Don't get me wrong. I love Aly, Alexei and Faith. Like a family, I truly do.

But just knowing that there is a living breathing person out there who shares the same blood as me is enough to make me want to investigate. 

I don't even have to love them. I just want to know them. 

Which is why I find myself tailing Alyona in New York, who said she was leaving for a college interview.

My first reason for not believing her at all was that one, if she wanted to go to college her intelligence could grant her a scholarship when she was sixteen. 

And two, New York? Really? Like I'm that fucking stupid?

Faith, also, isn't stupid. She definitely would be able to seek out that lie with her detective skills. 

Except she doesn't know anything. Aly only told Alexei and I where she was going - trying to play it off as casual. She said to tell Faith she was just out

The only reason I kept this little secret of hers is because I might need leverage on her. For the information I need from New York, it's always good to have her help. 

Not like she wouldn't help me. Just that she'd be lazy and bored whilst doing it. I'd prefer this blackmail make her more enthusiastic by my request. 

So. Here I am. In New York. 

I won't go find Aly just yet. Only if I need her help. Which I hope I do end up needing because besting Aly is always fun. She often gets too comfortable with the fact that she's a regenerative weapon. 

It's been three years and that still shocks me. That something like that is possible. 

Whatever. I'm a tech whizz not a scientist. 

Now. There are many people I could contact in New York. Ones that have pledged loyalty to Alyona after she became more of a hero instead of tyrant. Maybe some people looking to get their computers fixed as payment. Really anyone I want that wouldn't recognise me as a kid on a few wanted posters three years back. 

Seriously. Anyone. 

And still, where's the fun in that?

Jake Richards and I weren't allowed to keep in contact. Weren't allowed to talk, were forced to break off our...thing? Yeah. Our thing.