20 | Shard Of Glass

•°

•°. *࿐

"IF STONE'S STILL alive then why are you still forced to be doing everyone's errands?" Rowan asks me. 

I sigh, "The intent is still there. I still tried to kill him." 

"Yeah but...you failed." He shrugs. 

I turn to him with a sudden seriousness, dropping the shopping basket to the ground and crossing my arms as I stare at him with a different kind of intent to the one I had when attempting to kill my highschool english teacher. 

"Sorry for defending you, sheesh." He puts his hands up in a surrender.

"I don't need some twenty-whatever year old defending me." I pick the basket up again, scanning the aisles for the rest of Liza's shopping list. I've been going on a lot of errands to get out and around. It also makes Liza talk to me which, before, she wasn't really doing anymore. I still want to salvage that friendship - and given Alyona's stop in torture, maybe I can salvage whatever comfortableness we had three years ago. 

"Hey TK?" Rowan asks, a little softer this time. 

I continue walking down the shopping aisle, watching a pack of pistachios fall into the basket as I push them off the shelf, "Yeah?"

It takes me a moment to realise he's stopped walking. I turn around and raise a brow at him, confused by his change in manner and walk back over, "What? Did I hurt your feelings? Like I know I'm harsh, but I've definitely said worse-"

"No, I just had a question." He interrupts me, clearing his throat. 

I roll my eyes, "Okay, ask away then Mr. Mysterious, Jesus Christ."

"You told me you killed Stone because you were a bad person."

"Jesus Christ dude, quiet down." My eyes widen at his abrupt words, walking closer and grabbing his wrist.

I pull him to a more empty aisle. One without passing old ladies or passing children running around bound to slip over and start screaming tears.

"I want to know specifically," Rowan continues to talk as I drag him, "I want to know your thought process - no one just kills because. So why did you?"

I stop the walking and run an exhausted hand through my red locks - thanks mom - somewhat frustrated at the question, and weirdly, somewhat not.

"I was loyal to my father," I say, "He told me to, and so I did."

"Liar." Rowan whispers the word with a grin. I hate how much he likes that he can read me. It's annoying. And seriously irking.

And suddenly I don't care about my secrets. I care about wiping that smug grin off his face.

"My father threatened my younger sister's life if I didn't obey him, telling me if I listened he wouldn't kill her. And then he still did. So I had no reason to follow him anymore, and I left." I deadpan.