4. Next Move

Sokka

I took a large bite into the meat stick Katara had just handed to me, sitting on top of a bowl of warm soup-like meal - not caring that it was still hot. I was grateful just for different texture and flavour.

I smiled gratefully up at her before she turned to give Jet a bowl. He was sitting beside me, part of me thought he was too close, the other part somewhat enjoyed the company.

Katara had spent the last hour cooking and nagging me for stories on how I ended up where I did, and what we got up to stuck in the cell with each other.

Jet pushed his way into the conversation, trying to win my sister over with his charm once again. Katara was too smart, and the glares she sent back was enough to shut him up.

Aang had told me how many hours they had looked for me, and how much Katara was worried. I could only imagine how much stress she would have been under.

I was a handful for a big brother. Sometimes I wish I made wiser decisions. I explained to them how I was suspicious of the Dai Li, and right before I figured out the shady stuff they were doing to their own people, it was too late to back out and tell everyone.

I suppose if I didn't, Jet and Zuko would have killed each other in that cell... or maybe not. 

Momo attempted to swipe at my food, gaining my attention. Ack to my food. I pushed the lemur away, much to his frustration. I was glad to see the little thing though. Appa had curled up to sleep behind where we were grouped up. He was snoring away contently.

Toph, Aang, Katara and I were sitting in a small circle together while Zuko opted to sit a few feet away, facing the mountain we had just come down from. He looked lonely over there, but I wasn't sure how to approach him given he is the firenation prince. Or if it was worth trying to spark up conversation.

If it were up to Katara and Jet, they would keep him as a prisoner until we transported him to one of the Earth Kingdom cities or watertribes authorities. But Ba Sing Se itself was corrupted, and I didn't really like the idea of doing that to someone who was an essential part of my own escape. 

And so far, Zuko wasn't showing any clear signs of wanting to attack us. We hadn't seen him in a long time, when his uncle or whoever was hurt.

At the time, Katara herself offered to help, but Zuko made it clear he didn't want it, at least not from us. I wonder how his uncle ended up - if he was okay. 

"Uh, do I give him... a bowl?" Katara muttered quietly, looking unsure as she held an extra meal in her hand, gesturing towards Zuko.

Jet snorted, "Maybe we should make him ask... or beg-"

"Jet, he hasn't eaten anything in days." I scolded, before standing up and taking the bowl from Katara, "I'll give it to him. Less awkward for anyone." I smiled.

Jet reached out and grabbed my wrist, "Come on, Sokka. Let's not forget what he is..."

Toph let out a small laugh, "I dont know why you guys are so afraid of him, he seems kinda quiet. Firebender or not."

"We're not afraid, Toph. We don't trust him, there's a difference." Katara sighed.

I pulled my arm away from Jet, shaking my head, "Well, I'm sure I'll be fine giving him food. At this stage, he doesn't seem ready for a fight, and he hasn't done anything yet."