Village Happenings

Zuko

I had well rested, so when I was awake and Jet still had me gripped into a death hold, I felt my body automatically heat up..

The conversation we had played over in my mind, and I felt myself feeling a little more vulnerable.

Jet knew all he ever needed to know, and instead of ridiculing my mistakes, he listened... he comforted me. Maybe I was dreaming already.

He wrapped me in his arms, and I fell asleep, even with his hot breath on my neck, which caused me to sweat slightly.

It had been a long time since anyone had held me, let alone wrapped their arms around me for longer than a few seconds. My insides were bubbling nervously, and I wanted to stay like this forever.

It reminded me of the hugs my mother would give, extra tight, secure... grounded hugs.

As much as I wanted to stay in this position, it started to become awkward when Katara and Aang loomed over us, peering down like a bunch of nosy children. Their heads causing a shadow from the morning sun.

"Good morning, Prince Zuko." Aang's teeth showed as he widely grinned down at me.

"We didn't wake you, did we?" Katara had her hands on her hip, displaying her usual sceptical expression on her face.

"Uh... no..." It wasn't a lie. I'd been lying awake for a while now, silently soaking in this for as long as I could.

"Mmf." Jet grunted, arms squeezing me a little tighter than I liked as he stretched his legs some more, "Y'Woke me." He huffed.

"Look, Aang and I need you guys to get up. We need some help with Appa's saddle today, and well, Sokka and Toph have left early..." Katara sighed, crossing her arms.

I slowly moved my fingers to pry at Jet's arm. He didn't budge.

"Hmm, but it's so nice." Jet let out a long breath, and I huffed.

"I need to go relieve myself -" I attempted to pull away, and Jet huffed.

"Aww, Katara... why do you gotta ruin the morning like this?" Jet released me, and I was finally free to move around.

"Zuko can wait. However, the Saddle cannot." Katara rolled her eyes at him, before waterbending a blob of water at Jet. I quickly jumped up, avoiding the splash, Jet wasn't so lucky.

"Hey!" Jet shouted, stumbling to his feet and shaking his head, trying to get rid of the water soaking his hair, face, and shirt.

"Good. You're up. Let's go." Katara stared at him daringly. I made a mental note not to get on her bad side.

Aang stood beside her, wide-eyed, "Uh, maybe we should give them just a little time to ready themselves. How about we make a head start? You two can catch up!"

Katara huffed, throwing her hands up in frustration - but didn't argue with the avatar and began walking away.

"We'll be right behind you." I assured Aang, and he grinned, running after Katara.

"Ugh, if I could bend, the world would be at my mercy." Jet groaned, "I mean, she couldn't just let us enjoy five minutes?"

"The faster we get the Saddle, the faster we can move along from this village." I hummed, mostly to myself.