I

Saturday, August 5th, 2023

*Third Person POV*

"In a thousand feet take exit 19", voiced the GPS lady on Sam's phone.

"You excited Colby?" Sam asked his best friend while glancing in the rear view mirror to see his duo partner checking his hair on the camera app on his phone. Colby let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding while putting his phone down in his lap and looking up to his best friend with slight nervousness in his eyes. "Come on Colbs, you've been here how many times in the last year?"

"I know, I know", Colby smile softly looking down at his hands that were trying to rub away his nerves against his black jeans. "It's just, it's going to be different you know. This is the trip that's going to change a lot of things." Colby looked back up to see Sam looking back at the road but nodding his head understanding what he meant.

Kat turned her body in the passenger seat to face Colby. "I for one am stoked for this trip. I know you have your reasons to be nervous but just think were in the beautiful Sunshine State, hanging out on one of the nicest beaches in the US. We should use it to our full advantage." She held a wide smile on her face as she turned back forward, pulling down the sun shade of the rental to check her makeup in the mirror. "Besides, I can't wait to officially meet the girl that stole your heart from Sam", she joked causing the boys to let out small laughs.

"Babe, you know you're the only one who has my heart," Sam said reaching his right hand over to rub her knee gently. "Plus we all know that you stole me from Colby first."

They all laughed and turned up the music for the remaining 20 minutes of the drive. Colby looked out the window with a light smile at his face remembering every stop and turn Sam was taking. He's mapped out this route to and from the airport after about 8 times visiting, not including the trip that started it all just over a year ago.

Before he knew it, the navigation directed them to turn left towards a closed gate. "Here, I got it Sam." Colby says as he rolls down the window and punches in the code he knows all too well by now: #1025. Sam pulled through as the gate was opening, turning right as the navigation suggested. "It's the last one on the left with the burgundy SUV and black truck," Colby pointed out as he smiled, thinking about the adventures he's been taken on in that oversized truck that he even has trouble getting into sometimes due to the lift and larger tires that his girlfriend put on.

Sam pulled into the third and last spot in the driveway as it faced the one story house. It may not look much on the outside, but you really get a feel for the spacious layout once inside.

Colby was the first one to hop out with a bright smile on his face, something Sam started seeing in the last year more often. "Think he's excited?" Sam giggled watching his best friend basically skip to the front door. "Wouldn't you if your girlfriend was 2500 miles across the country?" Kat says with a smile, also admiring one of her best friends getting all giddy. "She really must be something, I've never seen him like this, not ever." Kat admitted looking at Sam. "I mean she seems amazing from the conversations we've had over FaceTime but you never know." Sam nodded his head agreeing with his girlfriend.

"Sam! Kat!" Colby called out to his friends turning back to an older man that was just taller than him, getting back into the little conversation they had. "Let's do this", Kat said pecking Sam's lips and getting out of the car with Sam close behind her.

"Sam, Kat, this is Scott," Colby says introducing the pair to his girlfriends dad. They exchange greetings and shake hands. "Thank you for letting us stay here Mr. Lambart. Your house is beautiful." Sam compliments the older gentleman. Scott shakes his head, "Please it's Scott, and you're more than welcome to stay here anytime you all visit. Especially nowadays. Since my wife passed," he paused looking down at his shoes, "let's just say it's been difficult and lonely, especially for my girl. She could use friends to keep her occupied." He looks back up with slightly glossy eyes, making the couple realize the severity of the situation. "Well I am off to the hospital. I do night shifts. Pizza is already on the way," he explains and turns to Colby, "and she's on the beach with Dexter. Congrats again Colby." The small group watches as Scott gets into the car and heading off before entering the house.

"Congrats?" Sam asked not understanding what that was for.

"For kicking cancer's ass brother." Colby chuckled, Sam soon following in suit.

"Wow," Kat whispers admiring the interior as they step down the three short steps to the main and only floor of the house. In front of them was the main room, or living room, with a three piece sectional that could easily be rearranged into a king sized bed. To the left was the kitchen with an island that had 4 high top chairs placed around it. The dining room hiding behind the wall that held the living room's flat screen TV. And just beyond the kitchen was a hallway. To the right was another hallway with a bathroom in the middle.

"Come on guys." Colby nudges Kat in the arm as he discards his shoes, socks, and jacket before jogging out the open back door with a goofy grin plastered across his face. "Yup, definitely excited," Sam laughed as he and Kat followed in suit with taking off their shoes and socks but instead taking their time walking across the pool deck onto the sandy beach, hands connected.

"Hey Sunshine!" Colby calls out with his hands circling around his mouth as he runs out to his girlfriend. She turns with a large smile on her face knowing who spoke that nickname. "Bugs!" The girl yelled back sprinting towards her boyfriend.

She launches at him for a hug but he instead scoops her up in his arms and tightly wraps her thighs around his waist. Her embrace calmed any and all nerves that took course of his body during the trip from LA. His distinct cologne immediately hitting her nose, bringing her the warmth that even the Florida sun couldn't bring to her. They separate slightly in order for their foreheads to touch, noses rubbing against each other, both unable to find a reason to drop their smiles.

"God I missed you babygirl," Colby whispers right before connecting their lips, both feeling the same spark as they did when they shared their first kiss 9 months prior. The kiss was soft with a slight need from the both of them as they each have been missing the touch of the other for the last 3 months.

If you were to look at them side-by-side without knowing anything about their relationship, you would think they were just friends with different types of style. Nobody would think to that the boy that has dark (basically black) hair, black skinny jeans, dark blue fitted shirt that just had a black leather jacket over it, black vans, piercings on his ears and nose, and jewelry ranging from rings to a necklace, would be paired up with the girl that has slightly lighter hair (but still dark) with purple highlights in it, wearing light-washed high-rise shorts and a form-fitting yellow tank top with only one noticeable piercing in her nose while only wearing a single necklace and bracelet. The one thing they physically shared in this moment the most was their amount of tattoos which they bonded over. If you saw them together any other day though, you would see how similar they dress.

As they separated, Colby softly placed her back on the sand but not yet releasing her waist.

"I missed you too lover boy." Her hands yet to be released from around his neck. That was until a push came from Colby's back.

"Dexter!" Colby turned and got on his knees to get level with the black pup that was an almost 2 year Lab-Great Dane mix. "Man you've gotten big buddy."

The little reunion that Colby had going on with the dog was paused by Sam and Kat walking up, making him stand up, wrapping his arms around his girlfriends shoulders as he puts his head on hers, making her shortness a little more noticeable, even if it was by 5 inches.

"Sam, Kat, I would like to officially introduce you guys to my wife."

His 'wife' laughs at his corniness while wiggling out of grip, "He means girlfriend, we're not even talking about marriage yet. Hi. I'm Maya."