Chapter 42: Quiero verte sonreir

Quentin

I had nightmares about this.

Dreams in which Cassie was mated away from me to Owen, Blaine, Dragon...

I always woke up sweating buckets, feeling desperate. It felt so real every time, but when I woke up I would soon realize it was just a dream and feel better. Now I can't wake up from this nightmare.

Selfishly, I thought she was the one who would be mated away from the relationship, not me.

I know it's a dick move to expect other people to break their hearts instead of you, but who would want to get their hearts broken? I know my parents told me this would happen. I know I shouldn't have dated before I got mated. I heard it all before.

But these people forget how teenagers are. We don't like to think that far ahead when we're horny now. When we want to be with a girl now. Or boy, like my brother. Not only did he not wait for his mate by having relations with my best friend, now he's going to do the same with his boyfriend.

Do I judge him for it?

Fuck no!

I'd do the same if I could.

It was genius of him to ask Owen for a vacant property. His father literally works for a real estate agency. Not to mention, the Lancasters have been with this pack since its foundation. That's old money. It stands to reason that Owen's parents would have properties around town.

I've dated Cassie for two years and never thought of that. And Owen is MY friend, not Jude's.

Like I said, genius move on his part. You gotta admire the boy, he makes lemonade out of lemons. I would kill to have my girlfriend back with me, even if she has been apart from me for only three days now.

The worst three days of my life so far.

I should have been mated by now. Then none of this would matter to me because the mate bond would take care of my feelings and reroute them towards my new girl. But not me...

I was wrecked on Monday when Cassie got mated to Bode. The whole thing sounds like a bad dream, but it's very real.

Nothing could get me out of it, not my friends trying to console me, the tears flowed through me in a desperate way.

I knew this would happen, but I didn't expect it to be this fast, so sudden. I watched as my beloved girlfriend started talking and getting close to another man. And there was nothing I could do to stop it.

This is what we are. Werewolves with partners for life. But where in Goddess' name is mine?

Pain like I never felt before washes me over.

It's unbearable, I'm crushed by its massive weight. It's like someone reached out their hands into my ribcage and ripped the heart out from my chest.

I'm impossibly sad, a shadow of the boy I once was. Nothing can cheer me up. I simply moped around school, the training center and then home.

My parents asked me what was wrong, then they pitied me. They offered a comforting hug, trying to console me.

Of course, they told me this is a temporary situation. 'My mate is right around the corner'. Whatever.

I don't think she's any closer to me than before. And even so, I wanted Cassie as my mate. I can't lie. I always have.

She's the sweetest girl I've ever met. The girl of my dreams. And now all that remains is the nightmare.

I woke up on Thursday not feeling ready for another morning of seeing them two together.

Unfortunately, my mom is not gonna let me miss school because of a broken heart. I'd have to be dying for that. It feels like I am, to be honest. I don't wanna sound dramatic, but this is the saddest I've ever felt in my entire life.