(5) Dirty Secret

Gu-won's POV

Humans are selfish creatures, consumed by their own desires, it's easy to make deals with them but they have no recollection of the contract they made with me because they are blind to the consequences and care only for instant gratification. I can't even collect their souls now because I lost my powers, I lost my tattoo to a...mere human.

"Master, I have completed the work, I have collected all the information about the woman that stole your heart..I mean tattoo." Mr. Kim's voice bought me out of my thoughts.
"Tell me what all you know about her." I leaned back in my chair.
"Park Yeona, CEO of Geum Pharmaceuticals, blood type: O+, Date of birth is 10 December 1996, height: 5 feet and 7 inches."
"and?"
"Her parents committed suicide when she was just a toddler, that's when a wealthy couple, Mr. and Mrs. Kang, adopted the Park siblings. The Kangs provided them love & care and enrolled them in the finest education schools. Years later, her step parents were involved in a fatal car accident, leaving her and her brother alone once again. Her elder brother, Park Ye-jin took the responsibility of overseeing the family business at a young age, he grew the business on a vast scale, transforming it into a leading enterprise.
Yeona was a top student and even graduated from college early, her exceptional talents & intelligence propelled her to the position of CEO of the company at a young age. Her brother, Ye-jin has tried acting as well, and he shone in it as well, he has acted in alot of dramas & movies. Both the Park siblings are extremely talented and successful individuals within their respective fields." Mr. Kim narrated the article that was published on the internet.

"They both are so inspirational, aren't they? I even got emotional." Mr. Kim dramatically said.
Mr. Kim leaned in closer and whispered, "The rumors have it that that Jang Sang-mi, a popular actress and Ye-jin's co-star, who is two years older than him, actually forced him to marry her. Yeona, isn't a fan of her sister-in-law at all as she believes that Sang-mi's intentions behind the marriage were purely for fame and money."
"I'm not interested in their family problems." I said.
"That's all I know for now, so what's your plan, master?"
"I'm going to do what I'm best at."
"which is?"
"Bewitching humans." I smiled.

I excused myself from the office and spotted Kira, a performer at my foundation, standing near the doorway.
"Director Jeong, I..I was just.." she glanced around nervously.
"Why were you lurking outside my office?"
"I wasn't eavesdropping on your conversation." She shrugged.
"I never said that." I smiled.
"Director Jeong, would you like to come and watch my performance?" She tried to change the subject.
"Another time, I have to meet someone important today."
"Sure, next time then." She softly smiled.

──────────────────────────

Yeona's POV

As we drove, silence filled the car for a while. Min-jae seemed eager to strike up a conversation, so I obliged him.
"Yeona" he began, "I heard you went on a blind date, it's very unlike of you to do something like that." He chuckled.
"I know, Ye-jin was trying to be the matchmaker."
"Thought so, are you planning to get married?"
"No, I don't plan on getting married."
"Neither do I,then."
"I mean, it's a trend amongst the young people nowadays, that's it."  He quickly added.
"Min-jae, your tie, it's a little off-kilter."
He glanced at his reflection in the rearview mirror and smiled, "It never fails to make me feel annoyed, can you please fix it?"
"I can give it a try."
I leaned forward to straighten his tie, but failed while doing so.

"I'm sorry, I made it even more worse."
"No, it looks perfect, You're really a trendsetter, Yeona."  He smiled.
We continued our conversation, discussing our work and the growing rumors about our company.
"I will get off here." I pointed to a random street corner, abit far from my actual destination.
He raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure?"
"Yes, I'm sure. Thanks for dropping me, Min-jae." I smiled.
"Always there for you, Yeona."

I got out of the car, watching as Min-jae drove away and walked towards my actual destination.

──────────────────────────

I found myself standing outside the infamous club, known for its shady reputation. According to Ms. Seo's report my sister-in-law hangs out at this place often, it would be beneficial to confront her at the very place where her true colors came to light.

I pushed open the doors of the club and entered the dimly lit interior. I scanned the room, searching for the familiar face amidst the strangers who looked lost in the haze of intoxication. Sang-mi was standing in a secluded corner, engaged in a conversation, I noticed the vial in her hand, the needle poised against her skin. I sidled up beside her, eavesdropping on her discussions.

"Poor Yeona and my dear husband, they must be in chaos right now, one news article was enough for more than millions of loss for Geum Pharmaceuticals." She chuckled.
"Should I send them flowers or something?" She added and lightly hit the shoulder of her friend.
"No need, this was enough for me." I leaned in & whispered into her ear.

The moment she recognized my voice, her face contorted in disbelief, "W-what are you doing here, Yeona?"
"I was just worried for you, stock prices can always rebound but once your private life gets exposed you're doomed forever." I smiled
"Stop with this bullshit, what do you want?"
"Keep your distance from my business and brother and stop spreading lies to degrade our company's reputation, you better clean up the mess you've made, or I'll expose your dirty secret to the media."
"What dirty secret?" She smirked.

A wicked smile spread across my lips as I revealed some photographs, capturing her in the act of consuming illegal substances. Those few photographs were more than enough to destroy her career as an actress.
"You wouldn't dare!" She shouted, as her face went pale when she saw them.
I stepped closer and whispered, "I would, Sang-mi, you know I would, I'll do anything to protect my brother and business even if it means sacrificing your reputation, I'll keep this bitter truth a secret if you agree on cleaning up the mess you made."
"Are you blackmailing me?"
"Yes and I'm being very polite right now, so you better understand while I'm giving you a chance."
Tears welled up in her eyes and she threw herself on a chair, her friends sat beside her, comforting her.

I made my way towards the exit and took my phone out of my pocket to call my manager but I noticed a series of messages blinking on the screen. I opened the conversation the messages seemed to be from an anonymous person who somehow had my number.

 I opened the conversation the messages seemed to be from an anonymous person who somehow had my number

Unknown User
Where are you?

Unknown User
Can we meet? I'm feeling really unwell since the incident.

                                                             Yeona
                                            Jeong Gu-won?

Unknown User
Yes, do you want a biography now?

                                                             Yeona
                           You wanted to meet me.

Unknown User
Yes, I'm feeling extremely unwell, to the extent that it affects my livelihood.

                                                                  Yeona
                           You seemed fine earlier.

Unknown User
You can see it for yourself, if you don't believe me.

Yeona
Meet me near Tancheon river. I don't have much time for you, I won't wait long.