(6) Joining Hands with a Demon

I set off on foot, making my way towards the river, as it was the closest landmark to my location right now.
After about fifteen minutes of walking, I noticed Gu-won, emerging from a car parked at the side of the road.
"You said you were extremely unwell but you're practically glowing with health." I said.
"You think I'm glowing?" He chuckled.
"Anyway, I feel like I owe you, you paid for the meal and helped me." I reached into my bag and pulled out an envelope filled with money.
"I don't need this."
"I hate being indebted."
"I have as much money as you."
"Suit yourself then, why did you want to meet me? you look perfectly fine to me." I tucked the envelope back into my bag.

"No, I'm not. My symptoms are real, they are so real that it's affecting my existence."
"What are your symptoms?"
"I can't do anything, I feel lethargic, like a complete different person."
"You should see a psychiatrist."
"Only you can solve my problems because you're the reason for my symptoms."  He gently grasped my wrist.
"Are you willing to try something new?" He leaned forward, mere inches away from my face.

What could he mean? Did he meant the same thing that I was thinking?

"Let's do it here, it's the perfect place for it." He added.
"That's a crime, you may face one year in prison or a fine of upto five million."
"When did they crimanlize a stroll by the river?" he smiled.
"S-stroll, that's what you meant.." I nervously let out a laugh trying to hide my embarrassment.

What the hell was I even thinking? I hate my mind!

"Don't get me wrong. It was the timing and.."
He intruppted me, "Can you hold your breath for a second?" he extended his hand towards me.
"Hold my breath? why?"
I placed my hand in his and took a deep breath, he leaned forward and I closed my eyes but instead of a expected kiss, I felt a sudden pull on my wrist, and the next thing I knew, I was submerged in the cold water of the river.

His fingers tightened around my wrist, his gaze fixed on the cross tattoo on my wrist. I mustered a forceful kick, propelling myself away from him. I swarm towards the shore, wet strands of hair clung to my face and water dripped from my clothes. After a few minutes, he emerged from the water and kept staring at his hand.

"Why?" I shouted, my voice filled with rage, "Why would you do that? I almost died!"
"Calm down." He simply replied.
"How can I? I almost drowned twice because of you and..and it doesn't end here, some lunatic is trying to kill me, I don't even know why, what do you want from me? why did you do that?"
"I wanted to check something."
"Then you should've told me beforehand."
"If I had told you, you would have refused."
"Scumbag." I muttered as I picked up my bag, I pulled out the envelope and hurled it towards his chest, "I owe you nothing." and left from there.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

I stood in the middle of the road as my gaze locked onto the towering billboard that displayed an interview of my brother. It was centered around the false rumors circulating about our company. Ye-jin was strongly defending our company's integrity.

Suddenly, a biker, covered in black leathers, emerged hurtling towards me, his gloved hand clutched onto a small container, he flung the container towards me before it could reach me, Gu-won lunged in. The liquid, instead of landing on my face, landed on his back, seeping through the fibers of his clothes & leaving a trail of smoke but Gu-won didn't even flinch.

I stood frozen on the spot, my eyes wide with shock and fear. Gu-won's eyes locked onto mine, "You have something precious to me, I want you to be more responsible."
"It was a..acid, we should rush to the hospital.."
Without a word, he reached out and gently touched my wrist. In that instant, the burn marks on his back vanished, it was as if they were never there.
"So I wasn't seeing things the other day..w-what are you?"
"I'm a demon, you humans prefer to call me the devil." He smiled.
The words hung in the air, demons are supposed to be mythical creatures, they don't exist in reality. Yet there he was, standing in front of me, as if he was just an ordinary man.
Nevertheless, his power that I had witnessed compelled me to believe him.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

Together, we made our way towards the police station. I provided every detail, I could recall about the attacker, hoping it would help in the investigation. The officers assured us that they would do everything possible to find the culprit.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

He decided to drop me home in his car & I accepted it, after the last incident I am pretty scared to even go outside alone, what if that lunatic shows up again and tries to kill me.

"Is it that hard to keep yourself safe? What if I had been late by a second? My precious tattoo would have burned away!" He said, his eyes fixed on the road ahead.
"So you're saying you're a demon? the devil?" I replied, ignoring his words.
He simply nodded.
"like..like a Pokémon?" I teasingly exclaimed.
"A poké-pokémon!? Listen, a demon's goal is to make deals with the humans."
"What kind of deals?"
"I grant humans wishes."
"Like the genie?" I giggled.
"Don't you dare compare me with that."
"You have some superpowers, that's what we humans call them."
"Forget it, think whatever you want."
"Then you're a genie.."
"Except for that.."
"Pokémon, it is then."
"You possess some amazing powers and I have your tattoo the source of them all, now it's clear why you are so obsessed with this tattoo." I added.

A thought crossed my mind, Jihye had suggested hiring a bodyguard to protect myself, would joining hands with a demon prove beneficial for me?

"Gu-won, you need to stay close to me to use your powers but you have no excuse to do that, you're not my ex neither my boyfriend. What you need right now seems to be a title that would let you stay close to me." I smiled and looked at him.
"What are you trying to say?" He asked.
"We're in the same boat now and there's a way for both of us to get what we want."
"Which is?"
"You're going to be my bodyguard."
"What do you mean?"
"Bodyguard is someone who protects their client from.."
"Yeona, I know what a bodyguard does. I'm a demon, are you telling me to protect some insignificant human?" He pointed at me with his finger.
"You can think of it as protecting your tattoo instead of me or fighting the bad guys on my behalf."
"Fighting on your behalf? Do you actually think I'm a pokémon?" He laughed humorlessly.
"You need your tattoo & I need your powers, what would happen to your precious tattoo if I died?"
He remained silent for the rest of the drive.

As we pulled up to my apartment, he switched off the engine and turned to me.
"So, do you agree?" I asked him.
"My answer is a firm no, I'll reject your offer."
He stepped out of the car and waited for me.
"What do you think you're doing?"
"I'll walk you to the front door, how's the security here?" He began looking around.
"Are you even hearing yourself?" I laughed sarcastically.

Gu-won dropped me off at my door and excused himself from there. With a sigh of relief, I closed the door behind me and kicked off my shoes. After freshening up, I settled onto the couch, ready to catch up on the day's news. I reached for my phone to text someone.

 I reached for my phone to text someone

Pokémon

Yeona
Be my bodyguard.

Yeona
Or I'll laser off this tattoo, maybe cover it with a pororo?

Yeona
Appointment's already booked(;

He read my messages but didn't reply, with a deep sigh, I set my phone aside and retreated to my bedroom, slipping beneath the covers.