Chapter 6- An acquaintance

The night air was cold and crisp as I walked down the stone steps to the pebbles below. I saw him waiting by the edge of a bush. 

I sighed and walked towards him. 

"So you are the Prince?" I said. 

"You are a princess?" 

I nodded.

"Not only are you a princess, but the princess of Prussia."

I nodded again.

"What were you doing all the way in the forest?"

"What matter is it to you?" I crossed my arms.

"Are we back to this again?" He said. 

"Back to what?"

"Not telling me anything, or dare I say being reluctantly stubborn."

I gasped. "Me? Stubborn? You are the one who did not tell me who you were when I ordered you to tell me."

He chuckled. "Ordered." 

I sucked in a breath.

"Yes. I am the princess."

"And I am a prince."

"Not a prince of these lands." I folded my hands in front of me. 

He licked the inside of my cheek as he grazed my figure. 

I felt a little shame yet there was a burning feeling in my stomach.

"How about a promenade?" He said.

"I should not be seen with a man I am not married to." I said. 

"It would not hurt, no one is here." 

He put out his hand again. I walked towards him and gently took his hand as he walked deeper into the garden. 

"Tell me about your travels your highness. " I said. 

He sighed. "Well every country has its own beauties, I found the coasts of Greece the most beautiful. Shells lined the beach and they were all different colors too. It made for a remarkable sight." 

"Do you miss your home?" 

"Home is where I can go and know everything is normal and stable, but I wanted to see what the world offers. When I was younger I went on a voyage to India. You would not believe the beauties there. There would be markets full of pigmented colors and spices, flowers, and even gold. It made for fantastic trade back in Spain."

"I would assume so."

The night was quiet and all you could hear were crickets and our footsteps on the grass. There was a bench by the fountain.

He sat down and I sat next to him. 

"I would have never guessed you were the princess." He said.

"Why not?"

"If I may, they always said the princess was beautiful, so beautiful her beauty unmatched even the finest of ladies. However, I did not expect this beauty."

I felt my cheeks become hot. 

He noticed and touched my cheek with his thumb.

"I never expected this beauty." He whispered. 

I smiled. 

"I did not expect you to be a prince," I said.

"Well, here I am." 

"Here you are." 

"Aren't you betrothed to the King of Scotland?" He said. 

I nodded. 

"I am forced," I said. 

He frowned as he grabbed my hand. I flinched at first but then let his soft warmth engulf my hand. 

"No matter who you are, no matter your ranks, nothing is worth more than your happiness. Life is long, not short. Life is not meant to be led in misery." He said.

"Not when you're a princess like me," I said. 

I then heard someone clear their throat. 

"Ahem."

We both looked forward. It was Wilson. 

"Your Highnesses. You are to be expected back in the ballroom Victoria." He said. 

I gulped and nodded. 

"When will I see you again?" I said.

"Tonight."

He was mid-sentence when Wilson started pulling my arm.  I got up and followed him, looking back at Antonio. 

Still holding my arm Wilson whispered, "Just what do you think you are doing?" I pulled my arm away from him.

"If His Majesty found out, or even your mother, heaven, not the King  my head would be on a pike!" 

"It is not all about you Wilson! Let me be." 

"If anyone else saw you they would go to the King proclaiming you had committed adultery. Is that what you want? To face your parents, your husband, your kingdom?" 

"Adultery Wilson? Be realistic." I said. 

He huffed. "Get back in there, I do not want to hear of you near that boy." 

I shot him a dirty look as I made my way inside towards the other guests. 

Hamish stood in between my parents. 

"Where were you?" He growled. 

"She needed some fresh air." Said Wilson. 

"Right." Said my father. "Wilson order the staff to open the windows." 

Wilson bowed as he walked off clapping his hands. 

From the distance, I saw Antonio come back in and mingle with the other guests. 

Hamish cleared his throat. "May I have this dance?" He said. 

I groaned internally. "If you insist." 

He grabbed me forcefully by the arm and we started dancing. His breath smelled like ale and wine. 

"Y-you are.. a big girl." He said slurring his words as he squeezed my waist. 

"I do not think so," I said. 

"When y-you arrive i-in Scotland, you will *hiccup* be fed only once a day." 

Terror struck my face.

He laughed a mischievous yet drunken laugh as he tried to dance. 

The look of misery on my face was noticed by the rest of the guests. 

I saw Antonio in the distance.

He gave me a look that symbolized you are okay. And that brought me comfort.