Chapter 16- A fortune

I went into my room later that evening trying to escape the buzz from the downstairs soiree. I exhaled loudly wondering when it was the last time I had gotten any sleep. Pure sleep. I heard a faint knock behind the door. 

"Who is it?" I said.

"Your ladies ma'am, we are here to get you undressed."

"Not tonight." I said sharply as I heard them swiftly walk away.

I took my shoes off and kicked them across the room. Walking towards my balcony door I carefully opened it and walked outside into the cold air. I placed my hand against the stone railing and looked down. 

I could jump, I could end it all. 

But what of Antonio?

I threw my head back and groaned. I let myself stand there for a moment with my eyes closed. I tried to calm my mind and calm my body. However, I felt tense and my body shook with anxiety. That is when my ears were drawn to some commotion at the bottom below my balcony. Down by the vines that hung along the castle wall I heard a familiar voice. Hamish.

I ducked a little and looked down. He was standing with another man.

"Any last words?" Said Hamish.

"I promise sire I was not insulting you." Said the man.

"Are those your last words?" 

The mans voice was shaking.

"I- just please sire do not harm the princess. She is young, she is beautiful, she is the queen of our hearts. Think this through."

Hamish then chuckled loudly.

"She is my bride, I will do whatever I wish. I do still hope you remember I am the King of Scotland?"

The man then straightened his back and faced Hamish.

"You are not the rightful King." He whispered.

"What did you say to me?" said Hamish his voice boomed like thunder.

"We both know who is the rightful owner of the throne. You can not admit it, but soon the truth will come to light."

Hamish swung at the man which resulted in a loud crack. 

The man stood up again heaving.

"Victoria will break you. My wife saw it." He said.

Hamish grabbed him by the shoulder. 

"Bring your wife to me by the edge of the forest at dusk, if you want your life spared." He said.

He threw the man backwards before he ran towards the tree line.

Hamish spit on the ground and went back inside.

The words of the man rung in my head. Victoria will break you. 

Like I had the power to break a King.

I could not miss it however, what the wife was going to tell Hamish. Mid thought I heard someone at the door again.

"Who is it?"

"Mina."

"Come in."

She rushed inside and closed the door behind her.

"What is going on Mina?" I asked.

"Sit." She said pointing to the bed.

I sat as she sat next to me. 

"I got a letter from Diego." She said.

"What did it say?" 

She handed me the rolled up piece of paper.