Chapter: 16

C A L L U M

𓃢

I overheard everything.

Despite my attempts to concentrate on the pack documents, I had found it impossible to ignore the unfolding conversation.

The vampire's disdainful remarks toward my mate echoed in my ears.

I heard how he had belittled her for choosing me, her mate, over a clan that had clearly neglected her entire existence.

It pained both my wolf and me to learn that she had been disregarded not only by her clan but also by her own mother while growing up.

I had never held much fondness for Glenda from the start. Our relationship had always been strained, with us actively avoiding each other due to our history and mutual dislike.

Yet, despite my reservations about Natalia being the daughter of someone I disliked, I refrained from judging her. However, hearing about her mistreatment ignited fury within me.

Seeing her cry over the vampire made me want to track him down and make him suffer until he begged for forgiveness. But I knew that would only upset Natalia more.

Despite my annoyance, he held importance to her. She had made that clear. I despised him for hurting her intentionally because she had chosen me over him.

She was mine.

My wolf let out a howl of agony as our mate cried silently, sadness coursing through our bond. She was devastated, her tears a testament to her pain.

I ran my fingers soothingly over her back, planting gentle kisses on every inch of her face within my reach.

Comforting someone was unfamiliar to me, especially someone I cared so deeply for. The last time I attempted to comfort someone was when my mother lay lifeless on the ground when I was ten.

Clearly, I wasn't good at it, but comforting Natalia felt natural. Having her in my arms made me feel like I had the whole world.

Despite the looming threat to my pack, her safety was my top priority.

She eventually calmed down, but she remained in my embrace as I continued to nestle my head into her neck, softly licking at her mark to offer comfort.

I thought I had done a decent job of comforting her until my efforts were abruptly interrupted when the door to my house burst open, revealing an enraged Chelsea.

Fuck.

I had completely forgotten that she had promised to come over, much to my annoyance.

Chelsea was a mere experiment from my past, no longer needed.

If I had remembered her existence sooner, I would have instructed my men to prevent her from coming back.

I felt Natalia stiffen in my arms at the arrival of the intruder. Hardly daring to look at her, fearing what Chelsea's presence could do to her, especially with her emotions already running high, I focused on the blonde.